Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello! new guy with a 2006 cobalt that doesn't run. hello! new guy here and off and running the car is a 2006 cobalt ls with 72k, 2.2/auto. the dash lights up when you turn the ignition and the starter will not crank. the security icon goes out as normal, i can go to the fuse box under the hood and jump the starter relay then engine will crank over. this vehicle was purchased this way and i noticed another bcm sitting in the back seat and have no idea if it has been switched. i checked all fuses in the bcm and they are good. not sure where to start? the ignition switch maybe? i do have another 2006 cobalt 2.2/auto 150K that purrs like a kitten but is wrecked in the front i can use for parts, like switching computer,ignition switch.... and i do about the key relearn as my daily is a 2005 saturn ion. i realize these cars are ridden with issues and just need some ideas. thanks guys in advance

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
BCM fuse in the trunk maybe...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
checked it already.

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

could use download of a factory wiring diagram, anyone? already hit the library and wasted $9 on one that was mismarked!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have that in the owners manual, i need actual schematic telling me what relays the ignition switch activates when your in start position. i noticed the fuse panel has 2 crnk relays and 1 run/crnk relay that i jumped to turn engine over. i guess does the ignition go directly to underhood fuse panel or is rediricted first through the BCM then to underhood fuse panel. since i have 2 cobalts sitting next to each other i can switch relays very easy but i would actually like to know the circuit for future issues. i really think if the issue were simply switching relays i think the previous owners would have discovered the problem. since the one car is wrecked and the engine is going in my saturn coupe i can switch any or all wiring if needed. believe me wrecked cars are far cheaper than chasing down down electrical issues throwing parts at it.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

ok. i switched out the 30A CRNK FUSE, THE CRNK RELAY AND THE RUN/CRNK RELAY and no change but wrecked cobalt still fires up and runs! at the run/crnk relay i have tested the same terminals on both cars, both have 12v constant and 12v on different terminal with key in on position (keyed power). need schematic to go any further.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Did you check my dropbox link it has all the diagrams you need.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. To avoid confusion i have 2 2006 cobalt, a lt & ls the lt is the one i'm trying to fix so i put it's ecm into the ls and did the 30 minute relearn and it started right up so to date i have eliminated the ecm & the run/crank relay plus fuses in the lt. Does the bcm have anything to do with the starter cranking over? I have been looking at wiring diagrams and hopefully i can figure out the issue. I'm going to physically check wiring coming from starter, need to figure out the circut. I did try and start the ls with run/crank relay removed and it acted just like the lt so i'm thinking the ignition is wired directly to run/crank relay.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well Yes. The ignition only sends a start signal to the BCM. If all criteria are met the BCM will start the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
today i switched the BCM'S and the 2 from lt, their was one sitting on seat when i bought car and they both run the ls, it starts right up. any other possible ideas? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
going to switch the wiring harness from run/crank relay in fuse panel in engine compartment and see what happens. i would think other than directly to starter solenoid it might also branch off the cps? any thoughts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.