Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heyy guys :) im new here & i wanted to know if you guys could help me out...
i have a purple 4 door ls cobalt i got this car in 07 for $5,000 but i was 15 so i never used it till around may of 09 in october 09 i got the rims but thats all ive gotten done, i have a job now & i want to save up so i want to fix my car

first off, my hood is getting some rusted spots. i took it to a guy & he told me i have to get a new hood, that if he does the paint job with that hood it will just happen again- is it true? well either way i want to get a new paint job what do you suggest? totally new paint job or go darker on the purple or what should i do? im open to anything! how much should it cost me?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Welcome. I work in a body shop and to me that sounds like the guy is being lazy and doesn't wanna fix it, he will make more money if you have him get you a new hood. Take it somewhere else. Shouldnt cost you much ill get you a good quote here in a minute.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so you think it would be $300 just to fix the hood? & then plus whatever they charge for the paint job...

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If the job is done correctly it should not rust again.

That assumes it's only surface rust, and that there are no holes in it.
+1, but it may be cheaper to buy a new hood and have it painted depending on how much they want for the prepping (sanding and such will be more costly than just spraying a new), but I wouldn't know if the cost difference would be worth it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Welcome! Fixing the rust depends on how bad it is. If its just surface rust it can be sanded and primed and it should be ok, if its rusted through, you need a new hood. I have a new hood coming to me (a coworker backed into my car the other day). The new hood (from the dealer) costs $249 and they estimated that it was going to be around $150 for installation and painting (like i said im having it done at a dealer so they are charging more than you could probably have it done elsewhere). Try to shop around and see if you can get a better price (im not because my company's insurance is paying for it)

---------- Post added at 02:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 AM ----------

oh, and put up some pics of your car when you get a chance! (some pics of the rust might get you a better diagnoses on the forum)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys! I uploaded alot of pictures of my car... Before i make i start adding cool features to it i want to fix all the bad things in it so if you guys can help me out it would be really nice :)

Vilhelm- pictures of my hood are up too! can you check them out

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
156 Posts
yea, just looks like some surface rust. a decent shop should be able to fix that cheaper than replacing the whole hood. I would still get a quote for both, it might be worth just getting a whole new hood

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for your advice
well for a new hood, & getting it repainted & getting that front light replaced, & some stuff under my hood thats messed up is a total of $1,000 like $980 something is it a fair price?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i hit a car the outside is o.k but inside my radiator broke because when i hit the car this pole thing inside broke & made a hole in the radiator so my step dad bought a new one & installed it but that pole squished everything so the guy said i need a new pole (whatever that thing is called) & he needs to adjust the stuff that moved

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.