Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last weekend I installed an AEM cold air intake on my car. Love the performance and the sound! Here are some pictures:

But here's my issue: I noticed that the compartment where the intake (filter) is located, right in front of the left wheel well, is pretty much completely enclosed with all kinds of plastic panels. I tried to take a picture to show what I mean (I bent the bottom panel out of the way here and had to use a flash since the cavity is completely dark)

It seems to me that there is a way to increase air flow to the filter to improve the effectiveness of the intake. Has anyone done anything like this? I was thinking of cutting out a portion of the flat part of the wheel well and putting in a mesh screen of some sort. (see my sketch in the picture below, the mesh would obviously need to be finer than that)

That way the intake would be unrestricted to suck all its air directly from underneath the car rather than through all the little nooks and crannies. I have the impression that most air is going into the engine compartment FIRST now, meaning it is heated up before it ever gets to the intake? Does that make sense? Thoughts please, and does anyone see a downside to my proposed solution? I realize the electrical connections of the lights have better protection now when driving in heavy rain; however it doesn't rain very much where I live so I don't see a big issue with that. Thanks,

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I dont think your intake has anything to do with your coolant LOL.

OP, theres plenty of air there. It wouldnt be designed if it was crap. No need to cut your plastic.

·
That's Mr. meogE to you.
150 Posts
yea but wouldnt the cold air make the engine run cooler
the stock intake sucks the air in from the same spot so it's probably about the same temperature. Even if it was a little cooler, that couple degrees isn't gonna cool the engine.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Yea I mean I would of thought that if you install a cold air intake, cold air goes in the engine, making the engine run cooler, and the coolant wouldn't get as hot since the engine is running cooler.

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

the stock intake sucks the air in from the same spot so it's probably about the same temperature. Even if it was a little cooler, that couple degrees isn't gonna cool the engine.
I would think that with a stock intake, being so restrictive the engine would work harder to breathe. And with the engine working harder to get that air it in turn gets hotter.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys. I'm not as concerned about the air temperature as i am about the air availability. When I start the car, especially a cold start, you can really hear the intake sucking up air, it's really loud. That's why I was concerned about the amount of air that's available. Maybe I'll test it out by bending the flap back like I did in the picture and seeing if there's any difference. Summers here can get pretty hot and under those circumstances a few degrees can make a difference. I realize the stock intake is in the same location, but then we all know the stock setup of the car does not exactly provide optimum airflow in any area. That's why we all get those expensive upgrades, n'est-ce pas? lol
Black 2010 SS/TC – Debadged | GMS1 | Hahn 3” DP and Catback | AEM intake | GM racing pedals | OZ Ultraleggera rims |DEPO 4th gen projectors w/ 6K HIDs | smoked LED tails | 20% 3M tint |Pioneer z110bt head unit, Alpine PDX-5 amp, Focal speakers all around

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3835837

·
That's Mr. meogE to you.
150 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I'm not as concerned about the air temperature as i am about the air availability. When I start the car, especially a cold start, you can really hear the intake sucking up air, it's really loud. That's why I was concerned about the amount of air that's available. Maybe I'll test it out by bending the flap back like I did in the picture and seeing if there's any difference. Summers here can get pretty hot and under those circumstances a few degrees can make a difference. I realize the stock intake is in the same location, but then we all know the stock setup of the car does not exactly provide optimum airflow in any area. That's why we all get those expensive upgrades, n'est-ce pas? lol[/url]
Right, back on subject. I would say there may be some gain since the SS bumper doesn't look like it allows much airflow to that area.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right, back on subject. I would say there may be some gain since the SS bumper doesn't look like it allows much airflow to that area.
Exactly! There is no direct airflow into that compartment. The only reasonable opening is on the engine side, behind the intercooler --> hot air.
Black 2010 SS/TC – Debadged | GMS1 | Hahn 3” DP and Catback | AEM intake | GM racing pedals | OZ Ultraleggera rims |DEPO 4th gen projectors w/ 6K HIDs | smoked LED tails | 20% 3M tint |Pioneer z110bt head unit, Alpine PDX-5 amp, Focal speakers all around

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3835837

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
if anything, i notice my engine gets hotter with my cold air intake, bc when i park, or pull into a drive through and sit, i get heat soak. But i cut my grill slats out and that def helps the engine cool down much faster when i pull back onto the road. As for your intake, i could see a smaller section opened up being of help, maybe instead of the whole bottom plastic

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.