Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kyb struts are making noise when turning all the way left or right. Didn't notice until about 2k of use.

I got these off Rockauto listed for 2008 LS Cobalt, which I have.

When I first went to put them on the frame bolts that go through into the engine bay didn't line up. So I put them on amd rotated the bottom to line up with sway bar link and knuckle.

Thought everything was good until now.

Is it possibly the center nut over torqued? These were full strut assemblies ready to go from KYB. What would be the best approach to this?

Maybe repositioning and swiveling the bottom part is causing a side effect.. Can those top stud be hammerd out and repositioned? There are empty holes on the spring top plate, to reposition the studs.. but sounds like way more work than this should be for buying the strut assembly, and spending more on KYB's. Had better luck last go with a cheaper brand, DTA.

·
Say What again!
6,034 Posts
Full assemblies shouldn't be overtorqued...

And rotating everything shouldn't have made an impact - the shaft rotates 360 degrees.

What kind of noise is it?

·
Say What again!
6,034 Posts
Oh, duh!

Does it make the noise when the vehicle is stopped as well as moving at low speeds (i.e. parking lot maneuvering), or just when you're stopped?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Did you change the upper strut mounts when you changed the struts.

·
Say What again!
6,034 Posts
Sounds like they were bought as an assembled unit - struts, springs, top mounts. The "Strut-Plus", as KYB calls them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, it was purchased as a full assembly, so everything is new.

I notice it when the car is parked and turn the wheel all the way to left or right. Or on hard turns when driving. Like making a right hand turn.

Had my wife turn the wheel, and i can see the spring binding when the wheel is turned pretty far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.