Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry this has to be such a terrible first post, but here is the deal,. My GF is selling her car and we need a replacement asap! We didnt think it would sell so quick as we listed it 10% above Book, just to see what would happen.. Now I need to find a reliable DD, with descent MPG, as we will be using the rest to pay off some unexpected bills, mortgage etc.. So

The car I am looking at is a 2003 Cavalier, ( I know Im on the wrong forum, But you guys are a much better, larger forum, with the same motor :) ) 2.2 Ecotec., and thru quick research I have found out that the Timing chain tensioner is a big issue with these, and am just wondering HOW I could diagnose it if I were to go look at the car again. Is there alot of noice coming from the passanger side of the motor, rough idle etc etc, and how much of an Issue is it to fix?

Also with that being the weak link, Does it put any extra wear on the guides, chain , or other components?

The car drives great, and idles pretty smooth, but this was a major worry for me,

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If it isn't noisy on start-up, I wouldn't worry about it. Do regular oil changes and you'll be good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. What would I hear on a cold start? Just a chain rattle? I'm gonna get it replaced regardless, but just want to make sure nothing else was damaged

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

I would honestly replace it with the newer style tensioner right away though. I've had to time two of my girlfriend's cavi's

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
And honestly, if you know how to do it, and its pretty quick, Id rather [pay you than any moron mechanic up here!!

Ill be down in ramsey in a few weeks :)

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Well, at least you know it's probably been maintained since it's in Eden Prairie. I work there if you want to look at it one evening I can come out with you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, at least you know it's probably been maintained since it's in Eden Prairie. I work there if you want to look at it one evening I can come out with you.
thanks, Problem is I'm in Duluth, so its a long way for a disappointment. Price seems really low, as do most cars in the cities that are on CL, alot of them seem like scams

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
When I bought my evo in WY I paid a local mechanic to check the car out and provide any input on the condition of the tires, body, trans, engine, etc. Also, a carfax. Then make the commitment to drive down.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
really thinking about paying the $55 for a lifetime deal, on carfax.. Ill call them today , and Ill see what I can do about getting down there.. I mean its obviously really clean, nothing fancy, and low miles, but the price jst seems so low.. \\

Also the 06+ didn't have the timing chain tensioner issue, correct?

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I should be able to carfax it for you if you want to get me the VIN. If you buy me a six pack or something I could stop by on my own this week and take a look as well. Let me know.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Should I even offer any less? this thing is already $1100 below KBB Very good, private party pricing.....

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I would rather check it out first before saying yes. It does not have the new tensioner but again, its not hard to replace nor expensive. Cobalt would be better imo because of electric power steering compared to mechanical, and the way the cavaliers have a harder time with the powet steering and components associated with it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still no new design tensioner? Crap. I just thought 2005+ didn't have that issue. Either way I'm guessing this 06cobalt is just an overall better car?

When I do check it out. Anything in particular I should be looking for? The price seems good but we will just see what happens

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you guys could/would, that would be awesome.. I could paypal you some cash or something for your time

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I have lifetime carfax so send me the VIN. After we determine its worth we could stop out and meet this person. CL goes fast so I wouldn't drag my feet if I were you.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
You should listen to these fellas! Wish I had people around here (my area) willing to help as much!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have lifetime carfax so send me the VIN. After we determine its worth we could stop out and meet this person. CL goes fast so I wouldn't drag my feet if I were you.
OK. I got a hold of him, then forgot to ask about the dang Vin. He said its a salvage title but the only thing that was damaged was the bumper. Either that's a really expensive bumper or I don't understand a salvage title very well lol. He said no structural damage and no airbag deployment.

Me and the girlfriend are going to Hinckley tomorrow to meet with her family who's in town. So we might actually just leave early and drive down to eden prairie to take a look. I'm sure you guys can't do much tonight about it. But I tried to call him again to get the Vin but no answer. He said he works nights , usually starting at 6 pm. So if you wanted to try for the vin, maybe you could get him? I'm just on my break at work now and have to head back in. So let me know what you guys think and if 4800 is too much for a salvage

Thanks again!

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

You should listen to these fellas! Wish I had people around here (my area) willing to help as much!

Yep, good help is hard to find for the most part, especially when helping a complete stranger and noob to the platform. and thanks again guys , I really appreciate it!!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.