Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Chevy Cobalt LS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm D3FAV1T or Ryan. Im a 20 year old who's looking to get into modding cars. I bought my Cobalt around a year ago and started working on it recently. This is the first car I have worked on by myself. The car is a 2007 2.2 cobalt LS and when I got it, it had about 32,000 miles on it. Now it has about 54,000 on it. I joined because I was looking to get into the modding community of this car.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Sounds like a plan dude. The nice thing is that these cars are fairly cheap to maintain and fix up.

Suspension mods are easy to do. Do some research on the FE5 struts and shocks for going with lowering springs. Also the aluminum front lower control arms. That’s my plan to use the aluminum control arms. Maybe will go with the Eibach springs.

Performance exhaust system front to back with a tune seems to be a great upgrade.

The first thing I did was upgrade my lights. I have Sylvania Zevo leds in all of the exterior lights. Had to install resistors to make the turn signals work correctly, which most vehicles require anyway. I have Hikari Ultra led headlight bulbs. I’ve used cheap ones before, and these are definitely the ones that work correctly. They must be adjusted correctly though, most people just install and don’t adjust. My next lighting upgrade will be oem style fog lights.

I have a thing about changing all the fluids when I get a car. So that means transmission fluid and filter, coolant and thermostat, brake fluid. Although my car had about 118,000 miles on it when I got it. Initially only paying $300 for it. Also have done the front brake pads and rotors. Seems like these cars rear brakes last a long time and don’t wear out fast. Mine looked great so all I did was adjust them.

A nice set of wheels can really dress up the LS model if it’s got the steel wheels with hub caps. Looks even better with a lowered suspension.

·
Registered
2007 Chevy Cobalt LS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a plan dude. The nice thing is that these cars are fairly cheap to maintain and fix up.

Suspension mods are easy to do. Do some research on the FE5 struts and shocks for going with lowering springs. Also the aluminum front lower control arms. That’s my plan to use the aluminum control arms. Maybe will go with the Eibach springs.

Performance exhaust system front to back with a tune seems to be a great upgrade.

The first thing I did was upgrade my lights. I have Sylvania Zevo leds in all of the exterior lights. Had to install resistors to make the turn signals work correctly, which most vehicles require anyway. I have Hikari Ultra led headlight bulbs. I’ve used cheap ones before, and these are definitely the ones that work correctly. They must be adjusted correctly though, most people just install and don’t adjust. My next lighting upgrade will be oem style fog lights.

I have a thing about changing all the fluids when I get a car. So that means transmission fluid and filter, coolant and thermostat, brake fluid. Although my car had about 118,000 miles on it when I got it. Initially only paying $300 for it. Also have done the front brake pads and rotors. Seems like these cars rear brakes last a long time and don’t wear out fast. Mine looked great so all I did was adjust them.

A nice set of wheels can really dress up the LS model if it’s got the steel wheels with hub caps. Looks even better with a lowered suspension.
Thank you for the advice, once I get everything in proper working order I was gonna swap my suspension to full coilovers all around and get new wheels. Sadly the car sat for a long time and got very rusted so I'm gonna need to do some body work as well. I was thinking about vinyl wrapping it in a darker gunmetal grey. It has a very nice blue color right now, but the paint is old and scratched.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have considered the vinyl wrap for my Cobalt. I have been seeing them become more common. But I’ve recently seen some that looked good. But were lifting around the edges. I can’t see myself paying $1000 or more for something that’s not going to last. Maybe there’s cheaper ones out there. But I’m probably just going to get the car re-painted. I either need to find someone to do it for me or get off my ass and do it myself. I have a large shop that I can use one of the stalls to do it myself. Just don’t want to take the time to do it I guess. I’m sure I can do better than some of the cars I see come in.

Although maybe I could apply the vinyl myself. I’m sure I could do a panel just to try, like the roof to start. It would cost a lot less than paint that way. Probably need something to heat the panel up though. Like a heat lamp or something. From what I’ve seen that seems to help the application.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts