Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2009 cobalt ls automatic.
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey new to the cobalt community, so far I love the car, got it for my wife's first. 2009 cobalt lt, nothing special, but she runs great, 138k miles. I've done some cosmetics, headlights, hubcaps, interior work, etc. I've also changes out the front control arms and coil overs, had some clicking from the front drivers side when turning, after changing the front suspension out the clicking is coming from the passenger side and the alignment is off now, also there is a small click in the steering wheel when turning it slightly back and forth even when stationary.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Noise from the intermediate shaft is common. But is usually heard as a clunk sound. And can also be heard while the car is not moving.

If you’re hearing clicking noises while the car is in motion, most likely will be a CV axle. Be aware when changing the axle, the stub shaft may stay attached to the axle and have to be removing. I used a bearing splitter tool to hang on to the stub shaft while I pulled the axle sharply. I also would recommend replacing the output shaft seals at this time or you may create a leak.

The rack and pinion is also an item that seems to go bad on these cars. Many times can be mistaken for a bad inner tie rod end. This is usually associated with clunking noises.

If you haven’t replaced all of the fluids in the car, I can only recommend you do so. I replaced transmission fluid and filter, coolant, brake fluid, on my own car shortly after I purchased it. I flushed the cooling system and replaced the Dexcool with Prestone yellow/green coolant, after a thorough flush. Just out of preference really, but mainly seeing bad things with Dexcool where it solidifies. Im sure it was due to lack of maintenance kind of situations, but I’ve seen pretty bad situations.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts