Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my gf was complaining of some clunking noise coming from front end of the car i did some research on here and heard the Moog problem solver control arm should fix the problem so i replace both driver and passenger side and replace the two front struts i notice it sounds some what better but there still something clunking around the driver side?

2006 LS Coupe

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Sway bar bushings can make clunking noises along with end links.

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was just reading about that im am going to check later today i hope thats the problem.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Grab the end links and pull up and down. Any play and they need replacing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the end links didn't move but when i wiggle the sway bar/stablizer bar whatever you wanto to call it the driver side was tight didn't nudge a bit but the passenger side move a bit just enough where i can wiggle it and it make a slight clunking noise so i'll order some sway bar bushing replace both side

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Yeah, learn the sound because those bushings went bad every year in my cobalt.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey money_man i just bought moog bushing K200047 off rock auto and just got them in the mail i plan to install them this weekend and after looking up how-to guide apparently there are different sizes bushing my car is an LS so has the FE1 suspension and i dont see anywhere it says what size it is

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
There are different size sway bar bushings depending on the trim level. I always just bought my bushings from napa. Just get the smallest ones.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i order the wrong size got it for 2.4 liter engine not 2.2 it was $6 and $6 shipping i should have just went to nape pretty much same price but thanks i will install the new ones this weekend soon the weather gets nice

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
It's ok

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks coby i'll look into those ACDelco ones and did look at your quick little write up on changing the bushing did you take the end links off to make the sway bar more a little easier or can you change the bushing without taking them off

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
You can do them without taking the end links off. The AC Delco are easiest to get from the dealer

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
The best way is to undo both sides at once and "yes" the end-links don't have to be removed for this procedure. The latest ACDelco are similar to MOOG and are baby blue in color.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Yup. The cheap ones are black. The baby blue ones still only last me about 1.5 years

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just replaced the bushing everything is nice and quiet now thanks money_man and Coby for the help

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Glad to be useful for a change.

·
Registered
750 Posts
You may also want to check the hub bearing. Usually its a control arm bushing or ball joint that goes bad or a link bushing like others have mentioned. The rattling is a common problem with these cars. I have replaced everything on my front end just about. I recently had a similar rattle and decided to take the car in for inspection. I was told that it was actually coming from the hub now as its beginnng to become loose. Just thought I would share so you can check that as well

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.