Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally bled my brakes and everything is complete : ) Not too hard of a job but it took me forever to do it because the last person put these clips on the rotrs that wouldnt come off. Half the time was spent doing that lol.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Nice I only changed my brakes once and I switched to Brembos so it was a bit more involved. The rear Drums are a complete pain if you do them.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
You can, and I am but it depends on how much you want to spend. It can actually be cheap if you can find a rear loaded beam at a junk yard.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Way to tackle the big brake job...any wheel/suspension maint can be a bear as the parts literally "fuse" together with all the elements. Can't begin to count the number of 4-letter words, snapped bolts and skinned knuckles. Glad you got the car service complete w/no major issues.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Those clips you mentioned being on there, did they seem really tough? if so, then those rotors that you took off were the ones that came off the manufacturer...its a way for us technicians to identify if the rotors have never been turned before or replaced. On those new rotors, I would give them a quick sanding with sand paper before you throw on the wheel, they are crosshatched, but not measured :)

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Way to tackle the big brake job...any wheel/suspension maint can be a bear as the parts literally "fuse" together with all the elements. Can't begin to count the number of 4-letter words, snapped bolts and skinned knuckles. Glad you got the car service complete w/no major issues.
Yep. When I changed my wheel stud all the nuts and bolts wear fused and it took a giant metal pole and a hammer to get it done. Then the hub was fused on as well. Sucked being out in the cols doing that.

Good jib on the brakes !

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Nice, good job. These discs are fairly easy, it's the rear drums that can be a real pita. Fighting with the spring kit without the proper compressor tool can force you to say some things you might later regret, and getting the adjuster mechanism in place with all those other little springs... grrr... brings back bad memories. Luckily the parts are dirt cheap and last for years, so I guess that's the trade-off. Don't forget to inspect the cylinder, sand down the friction material and apply a little grease on key spots where the shoes touch the backplate.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
That's because you don't have to.

I won't ever, but hey if you want to do what braking does the first time whatever.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
for those clips holding the rotor on.. next time use a pair of side cutters, works well.
Yup. Best thing I've found. Snip/break them off and throw them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.