Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2009 Cobalt LT sedan (auto transmission), 65k miles, based on a few factors:

I wanted a small car good for the city, something with great gas mileage, and something with good pickup and throttle response.

I do have a warranty up until 100k miles.

Here's the issues I'm noticing:

- Gas mileage is terrible! I'm getting 15 mpg in the city , maybe. Low 20s on highway. This is with just driver in car, maybe sometimes 1 passenger. I don't race the car off stop lights either. The air in the tires is good (actually a little high). It has been snowing a lot recently so I expected worse gas mileage but this is very low.
- Throttle delay is disappointing. I have noticed a sort of sweet spot where I have to half press the gas pedal to get the most power. The delay is worst when I'm going >35mph and then floor the pedal - there is about a half second delay before the RPMs change!
- Steering is "loose". I can turn the wheel either direction for a bit before the car turns at all. It just doesn't feel sporty at all. Can this be adjusted?
- Very rough over bumps & potholes (which there are a lot of where I live). It feels like a clunky taxi going over these, but is otherwise very smooth.
- Car locking system acts really funny (the other day it started
locking/unlocking itself while I was driving).

I'm wondering if
1) anyone else with the same car is experiencing any of these issues.
2) what I might be able to do.

I like the car and want to keep it, but these issues are dealbreakers for me right now.

·
Registered
498 Posts
ECM issue?

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

Is your car lowered? Mine is and in Boston, which I did not know before I moved here, with its legendary potholes, my car sounds like it's breaking in two. I already had to have a rim leak fixed on a brand new Michelin Defender tire because of one pothole.

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

You should also be getting 30 mpg or above with posted speeds on a highway. I would suggest having someone look at the ECM with the hesitation, gas mileage and the locks acting up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for both of your insights so far.

dondiego, afaik car is stock (not lowered). And I know what you mean about those potholes, the feeling you get when you get a really good one, as if you cannot believe a car could hold together and sound like that at the same time.

Here's the thing, my gut was a little skeptical when I bought the thing, but it was a fair dealer price and I got a warranty, so I went though with it. But for all I know the ECM could have errors that were "cleared". Because I cannot understand getting such poor gas mileage unless something is wrong.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Maybe Coby can weigh in when he sees this. If it is still under warranty, I would take it back and tell them what you told us.

·
Registered
340 Posts
For the locks/door switches...they go bad. It's the first thing I replaced on my daughter's 2006 LS. Go to Amazon...set for both doors is $23/shipped. Dorman# 901-035 was driver's part and Dorman 901-125 was for passenger.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Likely if this was bought at a gm dealer the recalls would have been done.

I too would bring it back and see if a tech can look at the issues. Front sway links, swaybar bushings, control arm bushings, steering i shafts and rattling steering columns are all fairly common issues. (rattles)P

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
For your issues on MPG, you may have a combination of issues going on that wont trigger any CEL's (Check Engine Lights) that will hurt your vehicle's performance and drivability. Someone mentioned a "tune up" which can be some importance, but there are a few recalls out there for some of you problems. There is one recall of a fuel odor smell after the vehicle has shut off and a few droplets noticeable where you park at night. Another recall for your steering issue will be the electronic steering assist, but your DIC (Driver Information Center) will flash a set of words stating power steering loss of some sort.

For your throttle issue, it can be of fouled spark plugs, dirty air filter, or carbon buildup on your throttle plate. Those will cause any hesitation during acceleration. These factors can also effect your MPG as well.
If it were a catalyst converter issue, your CEL light would be illuminated. Most likely resulting in a P0420 code from the rear o2 sensor.

The extra movement in your steering can be from not being used to Electronic Steering Assist system versus a power steering pump, since we don't have a pump on the cobalts. Excessive play can be from your rack & pinion having an issue and is not adjusted properly.

Far as your driving over bumps and feeling like an earthquake, can be the result of your struts/shocks leaking fluid, meaning their gone. You can look under the car and see where the strut makes contact to the spring and inspect just below it for any stain marks from the fluid leaking. Most of the OEM struts have a small lifespan and vary upon usage. Manufacturers state that you should change out your struts/shocks every 60k or less mileage in order to prevent from blowing or leaking and quality driving. I would suggest depending on where you live and road conditions, I would change them out if it feels bouncy over bumps.
Hope this helps.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
tygman,

Congrats on the purchase, however, I am sorry to hear you are having these concerns. Have you had a chance to have your Chevrolet dealership look into this? Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, and dealership.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
267 Posts
My CEL isn't on and it smells like rotten eggs..and is sluggish on quick take offs? But that's my sinairo going on...told cad converter....no lights and no code......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Iceman62, thanks for that info.

rrob5382, There was a recall for my car for the electronic steering, but I saw in the service records that this was replaced on my car. The recall for the fuel issues doesn't relate to my car I believe (mine is 2009).

5t3alth, thanks for your help.. I will see what they say when I take it to Chevy Dealer. I would've thought they would tune it before giving it to me ( I know they did do other work, on rotors).

ChevyCustSvc, thank you. I bought this from a dealership on Long Island which is far from my house, so I'm looking for a good local dealer.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If its a "certified" used vehicle from a dealer or an actual dealership, they should've fixed those issues before selling you the vehicle. You don't have to drive it to a dealer for recalls, they should be able to tell you with the last 8 of your VIN if its in there. I also believe the key binding recall is good til may of this year on 2009 GM vehicles.

Megatron, if it has a rotten egg type of smell, can be a catalyst failure or bad gas. We had at our shop a brand new EcoBoost Escape with that same smell and turned out the catalytic converter was not good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
5t3alth, it wasn't a pre-owned certified so I'm not sure. Anyway I'm taking it to a dealer next week and hopefully they can work out the issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
tygman, you should check to see if the recall notice on the power steering applies to your car. I have a 09 Cobalt LT and the dealer said there was no recall notice on my car but I ended up having to replace it at my own expense as I was past 160,000 kms
Also had the ignition lock up while the car was on and I was trying to shut it down. I drove to a dealer and they replaced the entire unit but that was early on so the warranty covered that.
I concur with your other point about the throttle delay; Gas mileage is poor and there is not as much power as the old Cavalier that I owned.
If those are deal breakers for you, I would consider getting something else while you still have low kms on your car. Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.