Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a used 2006 Cobalt LS and looks like I have run into a common problem on this vehicle. The power door locks do not work on either the driver or passenger door. I also tried to lock and unlock from the key fob and no luck there either. The trunk release on the fob works so I know it's not the battery. I have checked the fuse in the block and it is OK. Does this look like a bad BCM and if so any ideas of the cost involved in replacing it or is there something else I should be checking first?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I dont think ls comes with auto door locks due they??? I thought LT is power everthing with center consel and LS is manual windows and doors ...but have you tryed removing the door pannel just to see if everything is connected? I dunno im just throwing something out there loll

·
Registered
924 Posts
If the car came with a remote, it should have power locks as thats the only point in having the remote, keyless entry.

Is it an original remote, since you bought it, it could easily be an after market keyless entry system that was added, as said before, LS usually does not have keyless entry, but in some cases the customer adds it on before they build the car.

You would have to take a photo of your fob and post it here so we can see if its a stock one, if it is, then we can start talking about BCM issues.

·
Registered
985 Posts
my LS and my wifes LS both had power everything (both 05's).
the fob might just be 'out of sync' with the car. this happened to my wifes where it would only lock or unlock some days, work perfect on others, and not at all most of the time.
might also be the battery.

just a heads up, it will probably be cheaper to get an aftermarket alarm vs getting a new set of OEM keyfobs. Where I am, a new set of fobs is the same price as a remote starter/alarm (installed)....kinda sad.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
In addition to potential problem areas mentioned, another possibility might be the door actuators. However, please don't consider this an official GM diagnosis as we haven't had the chance to look at the vehicle in person yet.

If you make a trip to your dealership to get this looked into, please let me know as I would like to be available to assist in whatever way I can.

Sarah
GM Customer Service

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the quick replies. Just a few things to throw back at you. The car does have power windows and locks. I talked to the original owner today that I bought the car from and he told me that it is the original fob for the vehicle. It was his daughters car and he told me that the problem with the locks not working was intermittent. He said that when the door switches work so does the fob. He said this was an ongoing problem for a few years and more often then not the power locks didn't work. I figure since the fob pops the trunk lock every time it isn't the battery in the fob and since neither the driver or passenger door switches work there must be a bigger issue. Lurking around for solutions on the internet lead me to believe that it was the BCM since other owners have had the same problem. I bought this vehicle for my daughter and other than the lock issue this seems to be a terrific car. The last thing that I want to do is to take this into the stealership unless I have no other options.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Could be simple as a loose harness somewhere. Its not likely that all the actuators would go out at once. I would check all the BCM connectors, inside the interior fuse box (passenger left foot area), check the fuse for the door locks also, its in the same area, there should be a printed label on the fuse box cover panel. If this fails, you can check the actuators by removing the door panels, then check them out. You can apply voltage to the actuators to test them, if they work, you have some wire tracing to do or buy an alarm system and hook it up to the existing actuators, you may need to wire it directly to the actuators though if you have any opens/shorts.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had a similar issue with mine. When it first started, it was just as you described, but it progressed. The fob stopped working on EVERYTHING (alarm and trunk included), so I just chalked that up to the connections on the fob being crappy. Never replaced it, just manually locked my doors (literally pushed the sticks down one by one), and manually unlocked them with the key. Then one day, my door locks started locking and unlocking as I drove down the road. My hubby replaced the drivers side lock switch ($20 or less thru GM), and no problems since. (Granted she's been parked for 2 months ish now, but still, I drove her for about a year after he replaced it, and she was always fine.) If you start getting "possessed" door locks, I can about guarantee that it's just that switch. The hubs did mine along with 2 others around the same time, and none of us have had problems since (the other 2 are friends of mine who still drive their balts). Honestly, if you can figure out how to change that switch, I'd throw the $20 into the car and see if it fixes it. I don't have a clue for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the messed up switch may have led to the messed up fob in my case....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did some more checking with the fuses and still no luck with the locks. I also replaced the battery in the fob and no luck with that either. To make matters worse my daughter tells me yesterday that the power steering went out when she pulled into the driveway. I called GM to see if this car had ever been in for the recall and the rep there tells me that the power assist issue was done in February of this year. Anyone had this go out on them after it was fixed and are these issues that I'm having related in any way?

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
Clean and reseat BCM connectors seem to solve weird problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I find out that the power assist recall on this car was fixed on 2-1-12. After some horrible communication between the GM customer service rep and the service manager my wife finally calls the service department to figure what's going on and the service department guy tells us to bring the vehicle down and quotes us 45.00 to diagnose the problem. So I drive this vehicle down there with no power steering and when I walk in the guy tells me 96.00 to diagnose it. Well I'm a little upset now and of course the service manager rolls out and want to know what the problem is.grrrrrrrr. So i tell him and he tries to convince me that it is more because it might be a computer issue and not related to the recall service that was performed before. So I explain to him I can hear the motor in the steering column making a noise that I can't even begin to explain. He insists that it might be the computer so he has to charge me the 96.00. Anyone had this issue fixed twice??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.