Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I just installed 6x9 Polk DB series rear speakers. I ran into a problem, of course. Due to the size of the part that holds the screws, I could only get two of the four screws back in.

The speakers are rattling - big time. I'm trying my best not to go to a pro installer.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can fix this? I have very limited tools, no drills or anything. When I took my stock speakers out, they had some kind of glue on them. If someone knew what kind of glue I could use that would not be permanent, I would be willing to try that as well.

And, yes, I did check to see if they fit first. Crutchfield and Amazon both said they would fit.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
had a similiar problem i always use rubber or foam between the speaker and the mount
on my fronts i pulled the foam strip off the stock speaker and used it to cushion inbetween the speaker and the door and never had a single rattle,if you can find foam like they put around window air conditioners it shouldnt be too high maybe a cheap hose from a hardware or auto parts store cut it open make holes from for the screws and put it in between the speakers and deck make sure the house is fairly thin.

That should give you some cheap ideas for DIY

·
Registered
985 Posts
2 way tape, speaker surround tape/foam, you can get putty like material similar to the back of sound deadening <Best option, even better than sound deadening because its sticky on both sides

you can get self tapping screws and mount the last two screws into the metal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2 way tape, speaker surround tape/foam, you can get putty like material similar to the back of sound deadening <Best option, even better than sound deadening because its sticky on both sides

you can get self tapping screws and mount the last two screws into the metal.
Good ideas, thanks! For some reason, I never even thought about self tapping screws.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.