Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be buying some 17 inch rims black with polished lip idk what style yet but im getting it from a local shop so my question is what is a good tire size that wont compromise the rim being at risk of bending from pot holes and for stance. Eventually I will be getting lowering springs but not anytime soon since i only saved up for the rims. Any pics of your cars with the size of rim i want is much appreciated so i can see what it will look like on mine. Thanks.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have 17s on my car but not at the moment since one tire blew out. They were 215/50/R17 and looked really good with it at stock height but my new tires im gettin this week will be 205/40/R17 and will fit better with it lowered and will look much cleaner. It all depends on what style you like and how much of a gap you want to fill. Ex: If you like a smaller wheel well gap then a higher number for the wall width will be what you want. If you want to lower the car then don't choose too high of a number for the wall size or you will end up rubbing when you lower it. Just my $0.02 though.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks bro i was wondering about that of it will rub when i lower it so far im thinking 225/45/17 i heard that looked decent but idk how it actually looks

·
Registered
505 Posts
The guy I bought my wheels from had 215/40/R18 on his lowered balt. Had a big gap so I'd say do about 45-50 for the wall size

·
Registered
547 Posts
My stance on 215/35/18 with Eibach Sportlines

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I would go for a solid and clean look. Go with 17X7's, keep the offset as close to the recommended, should be no less than 40mm. For tire size, 215/45/17 is very solid and clean, the less on the height, the bumpier the ride. Anything less than 45 would be a bit bumpy road for a daily driver, but thats up to you.

If you are planning on lowering it without adding a ground effects, I would stick with Eibach Pro's. Eibach works with factory struts and have a solid reputation for that. Unless you are going with a full coil-over system, then Eibach pros and 45's will give it the 2-3 finger gap, which is very clean and what you will love.

·
Registered
505 Posts

Heres me (white one) sittin on 215/50/R17 without being lowered and my buddy sittin on 205/40/R18 with Tein lowering springs. He has a pretty big gap so I would go with 215/45/R17-18.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Thats a very good comparison 06BaltLS. You dont want it too low...or youll end up hating speed bumps and driveways. I would if you plan on lowering it, just eibach pros.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Thats a very good comparison 06BaltLS. You dont want it too low...or youll end up hating speed bumps and driveways. I would if you plan on lowering it, just eibach pros.
Thank you. Yeah that was taken with my iPhone so can't see it very clearly. I'm going to get eibach sportlines for my sedan. Not too much of a drop but just enough to make it look clean. The roads around here suck too plus my gf lives down gravel roads so that'll hurt sometimes :D

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok sounds good guys thanks for the quick responses but I so have another question if I get the 17s will I have to recalibrate the speedometer or will it be fine also since its a local shop I don't think they balance them where's a good tire place to get that done I also want nitrogen filled tires and also diff tires won't affect the tire pressure monitor right? Sorry if I'm askin a lot these are my first ever wheels I'm buying since I finally saved the money lol but yea I'm gettin a good deal on the rims and tire only 650

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
dont buy 18's instead! youll regret the cost of a non-cheapo tire like 90% of people run with big wheels, stick with 17's so tires are still affordable...I ran MSR 090's with 215/45-17's and they did just fine...

·
Registered
505 Posts
dont buy 18's instead! youll regret the cost of a non-cheapo tire like 90% of people run with big wheels, stick with 17's so tires are still affordable...I ran MSR 090's with 215/45-17's and they did just fine...
This^^^

I'm actually getting a very good deal on my tires. First of, I bought my wheels back in May and about 5 days after I got them one of the inner beads broke causing me to have to take them off and put stockers back on. Now a month later the same guy I bought the wheels and tires for($350, local guy that was selling all his extra stuff b/c he's moving. I got one hell of a deal for them) anyways, the guy has an extra set of tires for me which are 205/45/R17 that he will sell to me for $80 b/c he needs em gone and I need tires. I have my subs on craigslist and today he was asking me about a trade. I am going to trade my $250 subs for 4 brand new tires plus $80. I think I am getting the better part of the deal because these tires run $400 brand new..plus im getting $80!! He said he will get them off the extra wheels he has them on now this weekend and we will meet up next week to trade my subs for his tires and money.

P.S. Sorry I didn't mean to thread jack but I just wanted this to be out there so I didn't have to start a new thread for it.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yeah, I would stick with Eibach pros man...since Tokico is avoiding us with their Sport Blue aka HP struts. I love them struts! Only KYB GR-2 or I call them Garbage Rated 2. They are designed only for OEM springs and will crack the upper hat plastic ring. But for wheels, 17's look the cleanest in a 2-4 door 4 cylinder IMO. Anything higher is "Show car" quality only. Here is the wheels I am gonna go with in the fall time:

http://www.victoriatire.com/wheel_SPECIALS BLOWOUT_ANELLA AN018 BLACK_CHEVROLET_COBALT LS 08-10 (TPMS)_17_17

I will go with them and some Falken Ziex 215/45/17 tires, under $120 per tire. Should be clean on a red 2009, right?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
aww man the eiback pros are NO fun...still leave too much wheel gap. Sportlines are key. I'm on modified B&G's though because sportlines were still a tad too high for me. And I live in Montreal Qc...the WORST roads in North America. Yeah, potholes kinda suck....but you should change your driving when you're lowered either way. And your roads in the US are beautiful compared to here...even ontario is a huge step up from us.

As for tire size, I'm rocking 215/45/R17's and theyre' perfect. Wouldn't go less than 45 if you're worried about potholes, but more than 45 gets too thick. And as stated above, IF you can go with 18's I suggest it, because 18's are the BEST size rims for the cobalt hands down IMO and many others agree.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea i think im going to go with the 215/45/17 set up but what about the TPMS its a local shop so i dont think they install those will i have a constant low tire pressure warning or do i have to buy a new set of TPMS for it to work and where could i buy some besides the dealer.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i still think you should still buy 18's and nice racing and performance tires like I did when I first got my car. Imo 17's are to small. but to each their own so good luck

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I agree about the sportlines, but its not about how much you can slam the car to the ground, its more about your cornering performance. Thats why eibach pro's are not a huge drop in any vehicle. They test it to work with factory struts and give somewhat a lowered look, but Eibach targets the track/cornering performance of a vehicle. Just my 2 cents of info.

The sportlines "should" work with OEM struts, but you may blow them from the stiff settings Monroe or OEM sets it too on a more compressed spring.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.