Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I brought my '06 Balt into an independent shop for an oil change and told them about how poorly the car was riding/handling. They said the front struts (they called them shocks for some reason) were leaking an recommended they be replaced. They said the rear shocks appeared weak but weren't leaking. They said replacing all 4 would be $630. Does this sound right?
I tiold them to replace the front for $330 since that would affect the poor handling. They said they are replacing the cylinders (I assume those are inside the struts themselves).
This place is known for honesty but I have no idea about prices, etc so figured I'd come here and ask.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
IMO if they don't know struts from shocks, I wouldn't let them touch my car.. However the pricing is about right. Most shops will rape you for doing struts..

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think he may have thought that I didn't know shocks from struts. Once he said what they were going to do it made sense.
Glad the price is right, he said the struts were labor intensive.
With the pricing that would mean the rear shocks would be about $250-that sounds high to me.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got my car back.
It certainly rides smoother and doesn't thump hard over bumps anymore.
The Steering issues still remain so I will go for a wheel alignment and tire balancing and see if it helps.
I don't think I'm going to bother replacing the rear shocks until they start leaking.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Get used SS/TC struts, that way your set if you veer want to lower your car and they will handle better. Wait. reading is >me didnt even see your last post. lol

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I think he may have thought that I didn't know shocks from struts. Once he said what they were going to do it made sense.
Glad the price is right, he said the struts were labor intensive.
With the pricing that would mean the rear shocks would be about $250-that sounds high to me.
That sounds high to me too. but it is a shop. IMHO I could do the rear shocks ina half hour. Without a lift.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sounds high to me too. but it is a shop. IMHO I could do the rear shocks ina half hour. Without a lift.
I'm going to see what the dealer would charge, but Im still probably not going to bother with it. Unless my steering issues dont end up costing me anything extra, then I may just go ahead and do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.