Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done ordering some new headlights... 1st Gen CCFL halos in Black, Should be here by the end of the week, will get pics up of the install and everything. Now, question is, how should I wire the three leds? Turns only, or what? What's everyone else been wiring their halo's and Leds too?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Coulnt wait to actually have em to post a thread huh Lol Jk

Congrats man. Arent the plug n play?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think they are plug and play, except for the ccfl and led...
I can't wait till they get here, my headlights now are so pitted and cracked from the FL heat and the dump trucks on the road. I'm wondering if there is something I can do to these to keep them from getting that way so fast. Its plastic lense so I know there isn't a whole lot to do, but I was thinking maybe some 3m tint on the lights, just dark enough to have a UV blocking effect... maybe like 90%, I don't wanna go dark to where I can't see them.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The lights are plug and play but the LEDS and Halos require some wiring

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

youll have to tell us how you like the CCFLs. Why did u pick ccfl halos instead of led halos?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I picked the CCFL over LED halos because of everyone that got the LED halos on here a couple years ago kept having the LED go out on them, the CCFL lasts a lot longer, so that is why I bought them.

I still wanna know everyone's opinion on how I should wire the Halo's and LED's... I was thinking Halos on the Low Beam circuit, and the LED's on the Turn Signal...

·
Registered
352 Posts
when i get mine ill wire the halos and leds to the park lights. Park lights stay on when the headlights are on right? meaning when my lights come on automatically the halos and leds will light up.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, the parking lights are on as soon as the headlights are on... but I want something different than just wiring them to the parking lamps... I mean it'd be cool as a night shot thing, but I was thinking since you really can't see the halo's when the brights are on, just wire it to the low beams... but I dunno, halo's to parking lights seems cool too...

I wonder if I can wire it to where the LED's turn Off when the turn sig is on and back on when the turn sig is off... kinda like the Audi's are doing with their headlight assemblies?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ya i like that last idea

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice man. I have CCFL lights too and it was all plug and play.
I saw your pics, they are nice, but I'm not sure on the style, it didn't have the bar above the lights like the other second gen lights have... I'm not sure if it was a different set or what, but when I went to order mine, I went first gen CCFL. I liked that style from day one, but wanted to wait till a better technology came along and then money, lol...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, lights are here, but I have an issue, the right side low beam halo is inoperable... I can't call K2 Motor till monday, so I guess I'm stuck with just the high beam halo's till they fix it or send me a new pair

·
Registered
352 Posts
dang that sucks to hear man

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
well, lights are here, but I have an issue, the right side low beam halo is inoperable... I can't call K2 Motor till monday, so I guess I'm stuck with just the high beam halo's till they fix it or send me a new pair
Swap out the bulbs, the bulb could have gone bad during shipping or storage. Check all the connectors on the headlight also. I had same problem.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its not a bulb, it is a CCFL halo, the whole thing needs changed. I'll have to have them ship me out a new pair or just the right side headlight. I'm not going to ship them back untill I get the replacement light. at least I hope that is what I can do...

but anyways, as soon as I can get the new one or set in, and working right, I'll get pics up... and jeez what a pain it is to aim these things.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I would wire the halos only as DRL's. Or to the fog lights if u have. That way only your halos are on during the day, looks sickest. Don't wire the halo's to turn signal. Making ccfl halos flash usually decreases life span and can cause problems. I'm working on wiring my retrofit's halos to make them my only DRL's, but I had to replace one side cuz it was defective and barely lights up. Just got the replacement in the mail. Also, I'm gonna use a relay for the halos to make sure they get constant 12volt power from the battery, since the halos/inverters(ballasts) can be finneckey. I had LeD halo projectors on my civic and I hated them. Thought they looked like crap and they were barely bright enough to see during the day. I substituted them for ccfl's soon after. Won't be getting LED halos again.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have them wired up to the running lights, it just that the one on the passenger side came with a defective halo ring. I need the new light because I'm not cracking them open just to change the halo when they are brand f'in new.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I have them wired up to the running lights, it just that the one on the passenger side came with a defective halo ring. I need the new light because I'm not cracking them open just to change the halo when they are brand f'in new.
yeah don't do that. Send them back or just that side and get a new one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.