Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need help figuring out what to put in my car, as of now i have 1 12'' kicker comp and a 1000 watt amp...dont know the brand...i assume its a no name brand, my brother bought it for me along with my jensen head unit with a 7inch touch screen flip out. Well i just bought two more 12'' kicker comps and idk if i should try and put all three on a bigger amp, if i should work on getting a better head unit, get new speakers (still have stock speakers on rear deck)

i really need alot to put in it right now but it doesnt take me long to save up for this shit, let me know what yall think i should do....oh and what speakers are best for the rear deck but still have a reasonable price, and where can i get fatmat?

ok one more question...since i have your attention. I have some halo lights i bought from ebay and they are getting foggy on the inside after about 9 months, does anyone know of a really reliable place with good quality ccfl halo lights? thanks again guys. 210 crews lets get it!

·
Registered
47 Posts
on the audio part i would say get i getter rockford fosgate amp they are a little pricy but well worth it and that should power your amps as long as you say in the rms rating.

Andysautosports.com has good headlights but right know my halo rings went out but i called them up and there going to send my a brand new set so i would buy from them again

hope this helped ill post up my system for you to see as soon as i get a picture

ill tell you what if you can get a power series rockford amp that would beat the S**t out of those subs

ps headunit should be out but not the best but for the price i think is awsome

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I doubt our trunks have enough room for 3 of those subs to have sufficient box space. I would stick with 2 of the kicker comp subs, buy a better amp (rockford, clarion, JBL are all good brands) and a better head unit. BUT if you really want to upgrade your system, instead of putting kicker comps at 150RMS a piece, upgrade your subs as well. 300RMS total isn't a LOT in terms of power. Also the 1000W amp I'm assuming is peak, and probably puts out just enough for your single kicker at 150wRMS (knowing no-name brands). Always look at RMS value - it's what counts.
And I would also invest in a good set of component speakers for the front of the car, and some good 6x9 replacements for the back. If you can afford it, put them on a 4-channel amp as well. Hit me up if you have any other audio questions at all.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Agreed with the above post I mean even one kicker cvr with a decent amp could do more work that 3 comps
Thank you sir!

To the OP, A single JBL P1222 would destroy with a good amp. Imagine if you put 2 :D

·
Registered
435 Posts
To me RMS only counts from my ears. I once had a JL 10" W1v1(?) in their custom vented enclosure with 150 watts RMS single 4ohm load. I swear it had 500!

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
To me RMS only counts from my ears. I once had a JL 10" W1v1(?) in their custom vented enclosure with 150 watts RMS single 4ohm load. I swear it had 500!
Some subs and amps are underrated. Most reputable brand name car audio companies underrate their equipment due to 'engineering safety factor'. Could have been slightly underrated. Also I doubt your 150w JL sounded like 500, it may be that you haven't heard a real good 500wRMS sub at full tilt before. Box size and car interior space and shape also come into play with bass. If you had your JL and a 500RMS or even a 400 RMS sub all in the same box and same car I guarantee that you would see a significant difference with the higher RMS sub, provided they are from a reputable audio company...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yeah I bet, but 150 watts was loud enough for me lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry for the late reply guys, this really helps.

well the one sub that was originally in there was a cvr but i just realized that the box was waaayyyyy to big and built a box to exact specifications of kicker and pretty much blew off my trunk lid! haha but it turned out that where i got them installed they didnt do the wiring to well and had the wires on the amp going to the wrong colors on the speaker.....well after fixing everything and buying better quality wires i made this decent set up sound like a pretty damn good set up,

then two days later got in an accident lol
so needles to say im short on money and got rid of the set up. sold it for 300 to some idiot lol just amp and subwoofer.....no box! lol
well thanks for all the help guys im really lookin forward to using all of your input!
oh and by the way i was going to get some rockford subs but i saw that best buy had this sale on the kicker comps for buy one get one free. so they werent my first choice but not dissapointed in them at all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.