Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. New here, and getting a little desperate. I've been through multiple timing chain tensioners. The most recent from the dealer, lasted about 800 miles before I started hearing rattle again. I replaced chains, guides, tensioner, etc at Christmas this year (about 15k ago) since that time, the 1st tensioner (from autozone) went bad and made my chain skip. Put everything back together and installed a warranty autozone tensioner, and it started rattling writhing a week or so. Pulled a old style tensioner out of a cobalt I had with 90k on it, and used that (very noisy) until the dealer one, which led me here.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I've had no problems with the new style ACDelco. All my Cobalts received this ''B'' version as soon as I acquired the cars.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
What weight oil are you using. These cars are fussy and like 5w30

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I understand that it "shouldn't" have problems. Issue is, it does. Which is what leaves me baffled.
So your last tensioner was the new version with the bump on the head and you're still having problems?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep. Still with the rattles. I got about 6-700 quiet miles out of it. Now it's worse than it was. Rattles sometimes a few seconds then goes away, sometimes longer.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I really don't understand, it can't be a coincidence, are you sure the oil galley leading to the idler tensioner isn't plugged because it just doesn't make sense. If the new design has failed for you it's the first one I've heard that failed. Not impossible, but for it to happen to you after all these faillures would be a million to one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really don't understand, it can't be a coincidence, are you sure the oil galley leading to the idler tensioner isn't plugged because it just doesn't make sense. If the new design has failed for you it's the first one I've heard that failed. Not impossible, but for it to happen to you after all these faillures would be a million to one.
How would I figure this out?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
They could if the tensioner goes bad. I've replaced the balance shaft tensioner before as preventative maintenance when I did my water pump.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Only thing I can say is take it into the dealership and pay them. Than they have to warranty the job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking for help, I have a 2006 chevy cobalt 2.4 liter ss non turbo, a rare one yes. It just started making a rattling, clanking weird engine sound and I cranked it up and made it a mile down the road, low of oil put two quarts in it. I cranked it up idled good, rev up heard a squealing noise ,it lacks it's power. Took it home and back around to let family listen for noise, it there but not as loud, kinda sounds like a jingle at times and gets louder at other times. I have 3000 miles on oil and filter , car was checked last month a little low but not even needing a half a quart. What would you suggest it could really be? P.s. I have noticed when you cut the motor off at a certain place it stops on the crank it does make a rough starting noise like going to fly all to heck. Only happens once in a blue moon. I've had the car for 4 yrs and the only problem has been a VVT . Please give some suggestions. Only thing to drive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.