Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so what I want to do is get a set of wheels and tires. I'm thinking going 17'' on the wheels, and not sure what size tire to get. Also if i get the eibach sportline springs (2"F and 2.5" R) will this cause any rubbing when I hit a bump?

I am on a budget so, nothing too pricey, but at the same time, I want some tires with proven quality (not top line, but not crappy either)

Your opinion OBZ? it will be much appreciated.

(I'm still in the search of the rims I like best. I like the black ones with chrome accents, (not a huge chrome fan) so if you see/know of any at a great price, let me know)

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
i havnt had any rubbing at all after i put my sportlines on with my 17's. just the mud flaps scaping going over speed bumps. and have gone more than out of my way to avoid potholes :laugh:

when my gf and i bought our wheels they came with nankangs, and nexens. i had never heard of either, and was skeptical. but both have held up well, and performed decently.

·
Sneezing Daily
1,155 Posts
General Tires aren't the best quality but are somewhat good as well. And a good tire size would be like 215/45/r17. If you go to tirerack.com you can see tires that have been rated by people that buy them.

·
Registered
720 Posts
A better tire size (in the following aspects: price, looks, grip) is 225/45 17. If you use Discount Tire's website you can enter your vehicle and then look at what sizes you want (they show you wheel and tire sizes). If you want to go to Tirerack with that info then you can compare prices and what not.

1010tires.com has a handy calculator to show you what size tires will work...input your vehicle or your current tire size and some sizes you are considering, it will tell you if those are good or bad for your car.

I just purchased Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position's for my stock steelies. They are a wonderful tire. I was debating between those and the Goodyear Eagle GT. Both are all season tires. I don't know what you're looking to spend or what type of tire you want, but all seasons are usually going to last longer and have a lower price when compared to summer tires. Mine are a ultra high performance all season. They handle amazing in wet and dry traction. Cornering is great (and I'm running a 205/60 15). If you get a lower profile they'll probably be even better.

I was considering some summer tires as well: Yokohama S.drive, BF Goodrich g-Force Sport, and General Exclaim UHP. The General are going to be your cheapest (price wise) and will offer a good amount of fun, traction, handling for the price. The other two are better, but they are a lot more money. I would recommend the General tires if you are on a budget. Also, if you're interested in 17" wheels, DiscountTire.com and DiscountTireDirect.com have some wheels for $75 each in 15, 16, and 17". They are MB Wheels. I think they quality is pretty good. Can't beat the price though.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
With 17's go with any of the sizes previously listed in this thread. If you do lowering will not be an issue. As for springs, Eibachs are known for quality.. Can't go wrong. I personally have SSC springs. (NOT SS/SC) THey are not quite as low as the sportlines but are just right IMO

Here is a pic with the SSC springs with 225/40/18's

As for tires.. I'm still trying to figure that one out for my next tire purchase. I currently have Nitto neo-gens Which are great! But I want to try something different. I'm thinking about the Nitto INVO's

Are you looking for an all season or a summer performance tire?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With 17's go with any of the sizes previously listed in this thread. If you do lowering will not be an issue. As for springs, Eibachs are known for quality.. Can't go wrong. I personally have SSC springs. (NOT SS/SC) THey are not quite as low as the sportlines but are just right IMO

Here is a pic with the SSC springs with 225/40/18's

As for tires.. I'm still trying to figure that one out for my next tire purchase. I currently have Nitto neo-gens Which are great! But I want to try something different. I'm thinking about the Nitto INVO's

Are you looking for an all season or a summer performance tire?
Im looking more for all season performance.
weird enough as it is, the rims I fell in love with are almost exactly like yours. lol. I want to have a LOW profile tire, so what is gonna be the best size? I'm thinking of going with nexen or nankang, as ive heard many good things about them as far as being great value. I've always wanted Nittos but they are just too expensive for me. :sad:

here's the rims I like (love) ::love::love::love:

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Wow! those really are almost identical to mine! lol If you are looking for low profile, I would go with 18's. But with a 17 inch rim I would go 215/45. Any less and its going to effect your speedo

As for the tires, I can't really tell ya. I've only researched performance tires.. sorry

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Wow! those really are almost identical to mine! lol If you are looking for low profile, I would go with 18's. But with a 17 inch rim I would go 215/45. Any less and its going to effect your speedo

As for the tires, I can't really tell ya. I've only researched performance tires.. sorry
im kinda regretting not going with 18's. but if you go with 17's get 215 tires for sure.
if i had the money to do it again these are the one idve gone with

·
Registered
610 Posts
hey obz they almost look identical to OURS lol. you probably know this already but in the pic the rims have a 5 bolt pattern and our cars (unless you have an ss) have a 4 bolt pattern. btw those are pretty sick :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea, i found a set of Nankang NS-1 Tires 215/45R17. I think these will end up being good ones. now I just need to finish saving up my money. so, unless I find any that really catch me till then, I think those will be my choices.

Funny thing is, I was looking for some black with silver trim, and was like, well I dont want anything flashy or whatnot, but I saw these, and was like, these are kinda flashy but i LOVE them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK OBZ, better yet, I think I'm gonna go 18's like you. so on yours you have 225/40/18's is that going to keep the speedo pretty much the same? I can tell by the pic its low enough profile for me.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
OK OBZ, better yet, I think I'm gonna go 18's like you. so on yours you have 225/40/18's is that going to keep the speedo pretty much the same? I can tell by the pic its low enough profile for me.
Yep I have 225/40/18 The speedo is just a little off. At 60 on the speedo I'm really doing like 62-63

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.