Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright fellas, Im new to this whole car thing, i have always been a diesel guy, however i just bought an 07 SS and know little to nothing about the supercharge platform, just looking for some general knowdlege things, mods, bolt ons and what not, Im a Jet plane mechanic for the Air Force and have a mechnic back ground, so blow my mind here and enlighten me bout my superchrged SS! Thanks gentlemen, and or ladies.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
yo. smaller pulley = more power. with smaller pulley, you will need a different belt, bigger injectors and a tune. A full bolt on mod list will allow you to get a lot more power efficiently. CAI, header, at least a 2.5" downpipe (catless if possible) and a full exhaust would be your bolt on list. Then you go into cooling mods, option B w/ dual pass endplate for your intake manifold and a bigger heat exchanger. Depending on how many miles are you your car, you might want to replace the supercharger coupler, especially when drop pulleys. Short throw shifter is an good mod too. What else do you want to know?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good stuff man, as of right now it has 58k, and magnaflow exhaust is all i know right now that is aftermarkert. Whats the price range for smaller pulley, injectors belt and tune?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Speedy! And good deal man, doesnt sound to bad, any reoccuring problems with this platform?

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Your engine is the lsj platform. Id be looking into mounts and torque dampeners as you will have a lot of wheel hop esoeciallt with more boost. The LSJ LOVES meth injection. All that along with what banker is saying could potentially get you a good power and speed ss. If you ever want more, you could swap the supercharger for a tvs, or go all out and swap for a turbo. The LSJ flows better than the LNF (the 2008 + turbo ss motor) and handles turbos beautifully. Your engine has the potential for 900hp when fully built just so you know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When moneys right Ill dump what i have into it, right now the smaller pulley setup seems to set well with me, the advice and knowdlege here is second to none, thank yall and ill be on here every day looking to learn more. Happy to join to Cobalt family. Thanks again guys, i wont decline learniing anything abut my car.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Welcome btw. There is a vast amount of knowledge here with a lot of good people. Hope you can achiwve all your goals here.

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

Where ya from btw?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you sir!

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

:amazed:
Welcome btw. There is a vast amount of knowledge here with a lot of good people. Hope you can achiwve all your goals here.

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

Where ya from btw?
I hope so, Im pretty freakin stoked to start tweakin it but i need to be sure of the maintance i do. :amazed:

And im currently in Omaha Nebraska, stationed at Offutt but home towin is in Kentucky.

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

welcome aboard
Thank ya sir! Happy to be here!

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

Thank you sir!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Ah, we got a crew chief on board. That's cool though man, I was Security Forces for 12 years, got tired of the drama and got out. Welcome aboard though man, the SS supercharged is a great car to work on, great building block for learning. Its a solid design and not terribly difficult to work around on.

Bankerbalt knows all about the LSJ engine, he's the man!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah, we got a crew chief on board. That's cool though man, I was Security Forces for 12 years, got tired of the drama and got out. Welcome aboard though man, the SS supercharged is a great car to work on, great building block for learning. Its a solid design and not terribly difficult to work around on.

Bankerbalt knows all about the LSJ engine, he's the man!
Yeah haha I love my job, thanks for your service btw!!! And yeah I just picked my car up today, I'm so excited about it, but when I get bout midway into 1st I hear rattling towards the rear, I'm guessing its just my heat shield so I need to get around at looking at it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
That rattling isn't the heat shield, should be muffler bearings gone bad, lol jk. It should be your muffler or some hanger is having metal on some contact.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah like I said its coming from the rear, but the noise happens as soon as I engage the clutch. The only reason I javent had it checked out is cause its coming from the rear, so I don't have many worries about it. But its smells as if its running rich, like fuel smell. Whenever you open the garage, its like you're going to die of asphyxiation

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yeah like I said its coming from the rear, but the noise happens as soon as I engage the clutch. The only reason I javent had it checked out is cause its coming from the rear, so I don't have many worries about it. But its smells as if its running rich, like fuel smell. Whenever you open the garage, its like you're going to die of asphyxiation
My cobalt does the same thing on 1st and 2nd gear engagement once I release it, I hear an audible little clunk in the rear as well.

For the fuel smell, you may have that recall that was recently announced about smelling fuel vapors and fuel leaking, any noticeable fuel on the ground when its sitting?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So im loooking at a stage 2 upgrade kit, its gunna be roughly 600 dollars, but i have to get tuned on premium fuel it says? Anybody know bout that and about how much it would cost to get tuned?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.