Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

New to Cars

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  CodyATE6 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 ss sedan, and I want to get into the tuner side of cars. I know very little about cars and I was wondering if any body can help give ideas or tips and tricks to start or even if its worth modding. Any help or advice helps.

#2 ·
First off, welcome.

Where to start depends on how much you want to spend on it.

The 06 2.4 SS is a pretty good starting point. Most people start with basics like intake exhaust, lowering, and tuning. Which is fine, but if you plan to eventually supercharge or turbo the car some of the parts may not work with that set up. A lot also depends on how much of the work you can do your self, and how long you have the car off the road to work on it.

If you plan to mod the car you might want to look at the milage and see what has been done as far as upkeep and routine maintenance. Some easy things to check are spark plugs, filters, fluids, brakes, and things. I would also check compression, that would be the first step into learning the health of the engine. Also it's possibly going to need the timing chain, guides, and tensioner replaced.

I know it's a lot of information, but people are here to help. A few other places you can use for information.

#4 ·
I would recommend researching some YouTube videos and buy a manual for your car. Read up on as much as you can so you don’t have to end up paying a mechanic a lot of money to fix something you’ve touched.

Even though I have been a mechanic for a long time, I still watch how to videos before getting into something I haven’t worked on before. I usually find easier solutions to certain things if I watch some of the how to stuff. Although there’s a lot of bs videos on there as well that are far from helpful.

I get a lot of do it yourself people as customers that have tried doing things on their cars, but end up having to bring them to my shop so I can either fix or finish something they weren’t able to do correctly. Mainly a lot of suspension and brake stuff that ends up really being dangerous because they didn’t know exactly what the correct procedure may have been. Also having the right tools helps a lot. I started working on my own cars when I was in high school. Mainly reading books and manuals along with having been around cars as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.