Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my car brand new and I have a 5 year full power train warranty so obviously I do not want to do ANYTHING that will void this. So as far as i can tell I can mod the intake exhaust ETC pretty much everything except the catalytic converter and internal works. Everything bolt on is ok.

Basically i want as much low end torque as I can possibly get. I have an 08 Special Edition which is packin the 2.2ecotec. SO without dropping some serious cash this thing wont be packin more than 200hp from what I have been told. So to make up for it I want as much low end torque as i can get. The quicker the 0 - 60 speed the better.

My first step will be a cold air intake of some kind. I have never put one on. So what is good? is it easy? tough? pointers? good parts? bad parts?

thanks for the help

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you want to make sure 100% that your warranty is upheld, buy the gmpp intake, else go k&n
I was thinking about this but i cant seem to find it!! Where would i go to purchase a gmpp intake?? The dealership itself? because the website is useless.

Not to mention I heard the gmpp intake is actually only adds between 4 and 5hp i have heard some of the nicer K&N intakes can add up to 8 or 9.

Any of this true?

and any input on my finding gmpp?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Parts will not void your warranty. (although we hear of freak incidents) it is written, if they cant prove the aftermarket part caused another part to fail, then they replace it. There not going to pop the hood and say "oh headers void the warranty" but the more you change the deaper you get into it. Get things you can remove easily if needed to go into the dealer. Intake, exhaust and be done with it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
ya, you wont even get close to 200whp without some serious modding and cash :lol:

but low end tq means no lieght weight anything, pretty tight exhaust (small) and a good tune...stay with stock intake mani and such and you should be on your way :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
If you're talking 200whp, then no, you won't be close without money and forced induction (it can be done NA, but nobody is there yet...at least with proof at the dyno...some are close though). If you mean 200 crank hp, then that will be a little easier, but still takes a good chunk of money.

Just do the basic bolt-ons and you will be happy for a little while.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
THe thing about 4 cylinders is in order to get power, you usually have to give up a little low end torque for the top end horsepower and torque.. So honestly there is not much you can do to get low end torque.. One thing you can do is get a short ram intake like K&N or GMPP. But K&N is better.

Then like tom said, you will need to stay stock for the most part if you want to keep your low end torque

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmm this is all interesting to me, my last car was not a 4 banger and I never had low horsepower and torque problem. (I had a Chrysler Lebarion GTC with a V6 and a mopar turbocharger) I just want to have a good 0 - 60 time. But overall horsepower is important too.

So what your all saying is my low end torque really cant get much better without a lot of money?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Hmmmm this is all interesting to me, my last car was not a 4 banger and I never had low horsepower and torque problem. (I had a Chrysler Lebarion GTC with a V6 and a mopar turbocharger) I just want to have a good 0 - 60 time. But overall horsepower is important too.

So what your all saying is my low end torque really cant get much better without a lot of money?
With these cars 0-60 is alot more to do with traction mods then power. Sure power plays a part of the equation but the more power you end up added the more grip will be at a premium so definitely look at all sides of the equation when modding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.