Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently traded in my Honda Civic and decided to support the American made automobile.

I love my Cobalt and Chevy has renewed my faith in American cars.

One question, What mods will void my warranty? I want to upgrade my sound system and get bigger rims(16" vs the 15" steelies) but keep the same wheel diameter.

If you want to mod the engine, say exhaust,headers,cai, do they have to be GM parts to keep the warranty?

I look forward to talking and learning from you guys.

·
Registered
869 Posts
One question, What mods will void my warranty? I want to upgrade my sound system and get bigger rims(16" vs the 15" steelies) but keep the same wheel diameter.

If you want to mod the engine, say exhaust,headers,cai, do they have to be GM parts to keep the warranty?

I look forward to talking and learning from you guys.
Any engine modification that does not come from GM or GMPP voids your warranty. They offer a CAI, exhaust, and exhaust mani from GMPP so you can get those and be safe.

Buying a bigger rim is an increase in diameter, so unless you mean you want the same width i dont know what to tell you. Sound systems and rims wont void your warranty (as far as im aware). You can search wherever you want for sound, and go to TireRack.com to look at wheels specific to your car.

Good to have you here.

·
Registered
314 Posts
no more VTAK? LOL

only time a mod will void the warranty is if they can prove that mod caused the failure. CAI, exhaust, rims, etc wont void a warranty. when you get into the internals of the motor or suspension and they are not installed by the GM tech or with GM parts than no warranty

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Yeah, all the Honda guys on my old board laughed at me when I told them I was leaving because I bought a Chevy.

I bet half of them were 18.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Welcome to the Chevy Cobalt world! Cobalt was my first Chevy-made car too. Check out crateenginedepot.com -- they have one of the best sites for Cobalt parts and what-nots. Excellent prices and customer service too, click on Cobalt/G5 performance on the left of the page when you go to their site.

The GMPP performance parts have their own warranty -- usually parts only unless the dealer installs them -- then the labor is warranted too for a year.

Sounds like you have a base LS -- you can go to 16" wheels but should have the dealer reset your Cobalt's computer to 16" wheels. There is a function in the LS's computer where they enable 16" wheels.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
which honda board are you on?

FTR: i was looking at buying a honda, lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
clubcivic.com

GMBUCKEYE added 1 Minutes and 20 Seconds later...

Welcome to the Chevy Cobalt world! Cobalt was my first Chevy-made car too. Check out crateenginedepot.com -- they have one of the best sites for Cobalt parts and what-nots. Excellent prices and customer service too, click on Cobalt/G5 performance on the left of the page when you go to their site.

The GMPP performance parts have their own warranty -- usually parts only unless the dealer installs them -- then the labor is warranted too for a year.

Sounds like you have a base LS -- you can go to 16" wheels but should have the dealer reset your Cobalt's computer to 16" wheels. There is a function in the LS's computer where they enable 16" wheels.
So it has to be a gm performace part and installed at the dealership to not void my warranty? I'll check out that site.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
So it has to be a gm performace part and installed at the dealership to not void my warranty? I'll check out that site.
Aftermarket parts don't necessarily void your warranty...but having said that I can't speak for any dealer -- some are better than others with warranty work.

If you use GMPP parts: it states in the GM Accessories books that GMPP parts do not affect your car's warranty. If you install them or have a non-GM repair shop install them then GM warrants the part only for 1-year. If you have a GM dealer install them then the part and labor is warranted for 1-year. If the dealer installs GMPP parts before you take delivery of your car then the GMPP parts are warranted the same as your car (I did this with the GMPP parts on my Cobalt -- and the dealer put them all on a window sticker too).

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.