Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing my new trunk floor. I had seen the how to for a solid floor which gave me this idea. I used a sheet 7/16 OSB as it was about the thickest i could go with and still have clearance for my subs. I traced around the old mat and then cut it out with a jigsaw. I also cut out an opening above the spare tire / battery area and cut the remained in half. I sanded the edges and wrapped the pieces with a black vinyl attaching it with staples to the underside.

To do my access panel I screwed on a couple of flat piece of metal to the bottom of the side boards and then grinded off any part that stuck threw with a dremel so it was flat on the top side. I have 6 of them install around the edges to hold the access panel in place. I did this before I covered the wood so that nothing would show

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
leatherette

·
Registered
803 Posts
looks good man, nice job

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

my brother had those same subs in his neon back in the day, they pounded

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. It's not real leather. Its black vinyl that has a little padding backing. I used about 2 yards of fabric.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The cost is very little to make one as long as you have all the tools. Materials were not very costly but I did have to get some new tools. I found a B&D Jigsaw for $20, sandpaper was around $3 for 5 discs, Dremel grinding wheel $5 for 5, and my stapler crapped out so i needed a new one of those which was $17. Tool cost was about $45 but it is all stuff I will get much use out of. Materials for this project cost me about $22 so as stated above if you have all the tools its a pretty low cost thing to do.

TOOLS
Jigsaw
Orbital Sander w/ 80 grit paper
Dremel w/ Grinding Wheel
Screw Driver
Stapler (not the swingline kind lol)

MATERIALS
7/16 OSB Sheet - $9
6 3" Mending Plates w/ screws - $3
Vinyl Material - Normally $20 but had 50% off coupon = $10

·
Registered
498 Posts
How strong is that material? I put a set of golf clubs in my trunk a lot and I would be afraid of tearing the vinyl.

·
Registered
985 Posts
How strong is that material? I put a set of golf clubs in my trunk a lot and I would be afraid of tearing the vinyl.
My first thoughts when I saw this build:

"That looks sick!"
immediately followed by
"Hmm...Clearly you dont carry any tools or much of anything in the trunk"

Looks fine for basics like groceries, but I wouldn't trust it with even a case of beer and a corner over 25

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The material is pretty thin and the majority of it is the cotton backing. I think it would hold up for normal everyday items tho. With my subs in the trunk I cant fit a lot of stuff in mine. I have jumper cables, scissor jack, and some tools in the spare tire area. I then usually keep a bag full of cleaning supplies on the floor area.

They make a much more durable / thicker vinyl product that I almost got but it wasn't very wide. It was a utility vinyl and required some sort of prepping with chalk. It was relatively cheap as well like $5 a yard. I would probably get that if I end up having problems with this material. The other option would be marine grade vinyl but its very expensive comparably. I think it ranges around $20 - $30 a yard.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Spray on truck bed liner would be pretty bad ass too! I actually might take the carpet off mine and do that next time i see some on sale :D

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Looks good for show, but not for my application. Good job doing the whole trunk and not just the stock cut out.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To do the curves you have to cut slits in the fabric so that it conforms more easily. By doing this you only cover a small area at a time until you have completely went around the curve.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I think I'm gonna do this. The pull up part or the battery and stuff is an awesome idea especially since my amp rack doesn't let me take out the floor. To take it out I have to take out the amp rack

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.