Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm looking for info about the rear brakes. My 2010 LS Cobalt has 5 lug rear drum brakes on it. Is this standard OEM equipment?
I've got one spring (behind the tensioner) that doesn't want to fit in place. I know where it hooks into the front shoe but I can't figure out where it hooks into the rear shoe (driver's side).
Every video I'm finding shows a different brake set-up, with 4 lugs instead of the 5 lugs configuration that I have.
Any help is greatly appreciated. This is my first attempt at working on modern drum brakes.

·
Registered
227 Posts
5 lug drums were available on the LT model I believe, so 5 lug on your LS seems like someone swapped it over. The right shoe has a hole on the back side (closest to the back of the car) to hook the spring, and a little hook on the the left shoe (closest to the driver). And the setup should be the same for 4 and 5 lug.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I stand corrected. I meant LT. ?
There are two holes on the right plate. The one I feel is correct for the spring, would interfere with the parking brake bracket when the spring is in place. I was able to see where the spring attaches on the left plate but not the right plate.
I'll look again this evening, if the weather holds out.
Thanks for the reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.