Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I got my K&N Typhoon. Next I am going for an exhaust.

Like the Intake I have worries with what to choose.

What are the best brands and types? Differences? dual outlet or single outlet?

What size? (I may supercharge my 2.2 in the future so I was told a 2.5 to 3")

I want something loud! But not obnoxious! definately needs a real growl

What gives the BEST performance increase? and how much does an exhaust really help? (Raw horsepower wise)

Prices? ease of installing?

Full or catback?

And what wont void warrantys?

Give me all of your opinions and suggestions!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Go cheap if your goin to supercharge or dont do it at all. Maybe just a muffler for it to sound nice and replace the whole thing later.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
all these questions are answered elsewhere.

but since you want opinion....go with clear image header and dp, with corsa cat back if you are going to supercharge. that set up will be fine for fi in the future. and give you about as much "raw" hp as any.

sound.....the ecotec has a great sound to it naturally. i cant think of one that doesnt have a growl. just varying degrees of volume. i take it back, the megan cat back is pretty obnoxious. just remember, the more of the exhaust you replace, the louder the car is going to be.

as for warranty. any part you replace with aftermarket, will void warranty on that part. and other parts have to be proven that said part caused malfunction. i.e: maf goes because of over oiled intake filter.

·
Registered
277 Posts
if u plan on scing, then 2.5 will be fine. I recommend working from the header -> dp -> catback.

I say get the JBP vortex header bolted to a catted dp of ur choice to the tsudo exhaust with a muffler replacement and a resonator. ull be ballin

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
all these questions are answered elsewhere.

but since you want opinion....go with clear image header and dp, with corsa cat back if you are going to supercharge. that set up will be fine for fi in the future. and give you about as much "raw" hp as any.
Couldn't agree more.. A cheaper solution th the header and DP would be to go with racing solution's combo. But clear image has quality products.
if u plan on scing, then 2.5 will be fine. I recommend working from the header -> dp -> catback.

I say get the JBP vortex header bolted to a catted dp of ur choice to the tsudo exhaust with a muffler replacement and a resonator. ull be ballin
The JBP header is a joke IMO.. WAY overpriced..

·
Registered
720 Posts
I agree with the sound of the JBP...sounds awesome, but the price sucks and the install is difficult.

I recommend ZZP midlength header/dp...can't really tell you about any brands though...I don't own anything yet...have stock exhaust on car and an LSJ cat-back waiting for the header/dp before it's installed.

I personally will go with either ZZP midlength combo, Racing solutions header/dp, or Vibrant (used only for Vibrant) as I don't want to spend more than $400 for the 2 if possible.

·
Registered
720 Posts
^That's my biggest dilemma....I really want a midlength.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok ok So I read through This and tried to keep up... questions...

ONE

Can I get links and prices to some of these parts??

what is the deal with this whole "midlength" thing??

and what is a resonator?

I am a completely noob with the exhaust part of things...

also DP does stand for downpipe right?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Check in the vendor section under racing solution. you will find the 2.2 header i have. The DP's (yes downpipe's:)) just went on sale also.

A resonator is basically a big double walled piece of pipe welded in your exhaust. usually just after the cat. Its supposed to give the exhaust a lower tone, but they don't do much.. my resonator broke so i welded a straight pipe in its place. It honestly doesn't sound much different.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so basically a resonator is purely for sound and offers no other gain? Good to know. I have been doing research. Definitely going with the Tsudo N - 1. It seems to have great reviews. and it sounds pretty good but NOT obnoxious. Now I will research the header and dps you guys have been talking about...

BUT I also have another dumb question.

For the catback... if the tsudo is 2.5" and the cat itself is factory how does the cat - to - new catback exhaust work? Is it just made that way so it fits?

I know thats a retarded question sorry guys!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Dont buy from zzp. Those guys are total ****s and have no idea how to run a successful business. Not to mention I have heard more complaints about their header/dp combo than I have heard about any other header/dp/combo on the market.

·
Registered
869 Posts
How do you figure? Have you ever seen a resonator off the car? it looks like nothing but a restriction in the exhaust to me..
You're right on. A resonator is nothing but a sound/flow restriction.

There are a couple ways to do this. If you just want sound, get a muffler. Don't go kidding yourself that it is going to give you sh*t for power though.

Cat-back is of course the next step up. There is a gain, but it won't be noticeable, it will just sound like you're faster. The main advantage of this is the larger diameter, mandrel bent piping.

If you are looking for "raw power" (whatever that means) then either go header back or don't bother. If you are really serious about forced induction then I would get either 2.5-3" piping all the way back. This will be where the noticeable increase will come from. Be warned, however, you must pick your parts carefully or your car will sound nothing short of obnoxious.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So from what I have researched and heard, yes, a resonator is really just for sound and tone. And I felt a small boost in power from my new intake. So Are you guys saying the boost will be equal? or less noticeable? or possibly slightly more noticeable? Either way I am sure the boost wont be too much. But its the next step. I would love to go full on headers back right now but I simply cant afford it so I have to go in steps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.