Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
It appears that my nighttime rear lights are not working. Nor is my dashboard lights.
All my lights seem to be working just fine, front and rear during the day, blinkers and brake lights, etc.
But at night, my rears will not light up when i am driving. Same with the dashboard.

I have checked a couple fuses and replaced them: DRL, BCKUP, INTRLIGHT and couple others.

Any ideas? Ive read a bunch of threads regarding the issues, and everyone seems to go to fuses. But its not a fix for me.
Some talk about the wiring, but how can i locate the wiring and know which ones which.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yep, your license plate socket has probably corroded all to hell and is shorting out and burning the fuse. Cluster fuse red 10 amp in "BCM". They have the cluster on the same fuse so you know your tail lights are out. Also if both filaments are burnt in your tail lights the "BCM will detect this and turn off your cluster.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Coby7. I'll check that socket.
But what about the fact that the license plate light does in fact light up?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If license plate bulb lights up, that means both tail lamp bulbs are probably burnt, coincidence maybe but they were both installed in the car at the same time. Maybe one burnt 6 months ago and you never noticed until the other one burnt and your cluster turned off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All my rear lights light up.
The break lights, the blinkers and license plate light.
They just wont auto turn on at night.
They will activate once i hit the break or use a turn signal.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
that happened to me too, once was the bulb, once was the license plate light fuse. Definitely rules those out before going further.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
All my rear lights light up.
The break lights, the blinkers and license plate light.
They just wont auto turn on at night.
They will activate once i hit the break or use a turn signal.
But brake and blinker don't use the same filament as tail lights. The 3157 bulb is a dual filament bulb. Tail filament is not as bright.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
never knew that ^^^ that's cool

so does the 3156 use the same filament Coby or does it have 2 separate ones also? if it has 2 separate then whats the difference besides the prongs on the connector.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
ah,
I did replace a blinker light a while ago. may have only been one fillament and not two.
Could that be a cause of concern?
Which lightbulb back there is suppose to be the night time lights?
I didnt notice the nighttime running lights being out until a cop pulled me over.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
never knew that ^^^ that's cool

so does the 3156 use the same filament Coby or does it have 2 separate ones also? if it has 2 separate then whats the difference besides the prongs on the connector.
I believe 3156 only has one filament.

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

ah,
I did replace a blinker light a while ago. may have only been one fillament and not two.
Could that be a cause of concern?
Which lightbulb back there is suppose to be the night time lights?
I didnt notice the nighttime running lights being out until a cop pulled me over.
But you should have noticed your cluster being off. If you put in a 3156 then your tailight won't work but brake and blinker will.

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

What looks like a wire, filament is actually like a spring.

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

And if you magnify it you realise that what looks like a spring made of wire, is actually a spring made with and other spring made of very fine wire.

But that's a whole other subject.....lol

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
My mind has been blown! That's awesome stuff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update,
I replaced the prklmp Fuse and the Clstr fuse.
nothing.

I also checked the license plate socket, and it was fine.

i checked the lightbulb i replaced, and had installed a 2 fillament 3157, but the sucked actually asks for a 3057. Does that make a difference?

I think i've gotta take this into a shop...

---------- Post added at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 AM ----------

*socket

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
No , one is just brighter.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Not if you're good with a meter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
someone mentioned to me it might be the actual BCM.

Any thoughts on that?
I grabbed a volt meter yesterday, gonna check it tomorrow.

Let me know your thoughts on the BCM

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
someone mentioned to me it might be the actual BCM.
You can't believe everything you read and I don't know who told you that but license lamp, marker lamps and park lamps all come directly from the "underhood fuse block" fuse marked park lamp. Here is the schematic brown wires pertain to park lamps. By the way if your license, marker lamps and park lamps are out, chances are all 5 bulbs aren't burnt.

Start by measuring voltage at the park fuse with lights "ON" at park position of the switch. If you have voltage on both tabs of the fuse you know relay works and there's nothing wrong with fuse block. This means the brown wire going to the back of the car has a break in it somewhere. You can try and find it or run a new wire from the fuseblock Connector "C3" pin "C1 or D1"

The connection going to the "BCM" is a status connection so the "BCM" knows to warn you with a chime if you leave the park lights on with no key in ignition.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.