Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried placing vinyl letters on the 3rd brake light cover, nightshaded it, then removed the vinyl letters so the light shows through? I'm thinking about trying this, but don't want to waste my time if it wouldn't work.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've got Iowa State University license plates coming, so I thought Cyclones in the 3rd brake light would be a subtle addition to go with it. This would be fun for tailgating, etc. without being over the top. I don't want any ISU stickers all over my car, or anything like that. My son plays trumpet in the marching band & we go to a lot of games.

·
Registered
455 Posts
OBZ did that with the cobalt decal only in reverse. ask him about it

·
Registered
240 Posts
Has anyone tried placing vinyl letters on the 3rd brake light cover, nightshaded it, then removed the vinyl letters so the light shows through? I'm thinking about trying this, but don't want to waste my time if it wouldn't work.
When a cop is behind your car and you apply your brakes, you might not like the ticket. :eek:h:

·
Registered
455 Posts
When a cop is behind your car and you apply your brakes, you might not like the ticket. :eek:h:
he shouldnt get a ticket for that. i have a vinyl overlay that no light gets through except the cobalt letters and no cop has bothered me about it. the law in NY at least is your lights have to be visible i think 500 yards away. but if you only do 2 or 3 coats you should have np. like i said, mine is completely black except the word cobalt and i have np.

·
Registered
240 Posts
he shouldnt get a ticket for that. i have a vinyl overlay that no light gets through except the cobalt letters and no cop has bothered me about it. the law in NY at least is your lights have to be visible i think 500 yards away. but if you only do 2 or 3 coats you should have np. like i said, mine is completely black except the word cobalt and i have np.
Hasn't given you a ticket, yet. Lights and lenses are a safety issue and can't be obstructed. It can be dangerous.

I a licensed state safety inspector and if such a vehicle came into my auto center, I'd have to fail it for inspection.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hasn't given you a ticket, yet. Lights and lenses are a safety issue and can't be obstructed. It can be dangerous.

I a licensed state safety inspector and if such a vehicle came into my auto center, I'd have to fail it for inspection.
not to be argumentative, but if you failed me because of that in NY we'd have a problem. I'm friends with a trooper and he said its fine. It all comes down to the laws of the individual state. And its not like he's completely obstructing it. Night Shade still allows a large amount of light through, and then theres the word cobalt that wouldnt be obstructed at all, which on mine at least is about 60% of the brake light

·
Registered
276 Posts
Call your State Police to verify.
My uncle does inspections so I'll probably just ask him after I move out there. I'd think that it'd be okay since there's still plenty of light coming through, if you do it "right".

·
Registered
276 Posts
lmao, don't surgarcoat it or anything.
If I may ask, what state do you live in, John Adams?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't believe 3rd brake lights are even a requirement in my state. My others will remain stock, no tint. The word "Cyclones" will cover most of the brake light anyway, plenty of light will show through.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I have hook ups on my safety and emissions :)

Its much brighter at night. and I have NEVER gotten pulled over for it.
that looks awesome. did you just tape if off and do a whole bunch of coats of nightshade to get the cobalt?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I had one of those ebay stickers that have the cutout "COBALT". It removed the light from the trunk, then basically used the sticker as a stencil. I sprayed 3 coats of black paint in it with the sticker on, then pealed the sticker off and hit it with nightshades. I love how it looks!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
aahh. it looks awesome. got any night pics? might have to jack your idea later if you dont mind

·
Registered
240 Posts
Cookie, what would be really bad is to sit back and watch as someone gets a ticket from a cop and it didn't have to be that way, because someone who knew better had the decency and caring to say something to the person so they wouldn't get a ticket.

Take care.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.