Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to VHT my tails dark, however i want to keep the backup lights untouched. I love the look of the white circles showing through a set of black tails. The problem being, using VHT and sanding and what not, whats the best thing to do to keep the white lights? Any tips? Anyone actually had it done this way?

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
tape them off. tint the tails. peel off the tape. and put lots of clear coat over the whole tail to smooth it out.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right thats another thing, i want real gloss look and smooth feel. Should i use clear coat before i untape? or clear the entire assembly

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
I would clear the entire assembly. that way you can wet sand it all nice and smooth so you don't have tape lines.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i took the vht can and traced the bottom of the can on newspaper and the diameter is a hair larger then the diameter of the reverse circle, i just put some tape loops on the back and tinted them and clear coated the whole thing

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would clear the entire assembly. that way you can wet sand it all nice and smooth so you don't have tape lines.
Are you saying after i finish puttin the clear on, i sand again? and would that be with the higher grit?

Gooty, could i get a pic of how yours turned out? and all you used was the newspaper taped to the light?

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
yes after you put plenty of clear on. then sand with like 2000 grit to smooth it out. it's not needed but I'm a perfectionist so I'm just giving my opinion.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes after you put plenty of clear on. then sand with like 2000 grit to smooth it out. it's not needed but I'm a perfectionist so I'm just giving my opinion.
No no i too am that way, and i want these tailights to look like they were done professionally. i appreciate that tip. ill be sure to use it when i start tomorrow. Ill post up pics when im done

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
All I can say is take your time and do not rush this. I've done many sets for many trpes of lights. Take a weekend and give plenty of time to dry between coats, lots of wet sanding with 2000 between coats of VHT and clear to even the layers and a buffing wheel with fine scratch, polish and wax. You can get a mirror finish, but if you want it done right take your time. Alot of people who rush the job, their tails turn out to look like sh!t.

Alot of guys think all it takes is two coats of vht and then two coats of clear with no prep, sanding or finish buffing and polishing and think they are done but the lights are grainy and look terrible.

·
Registered
489 Posts
As you can see by my signature I did the same thing. We taped off the whole light then stuck a flashlight in the whole and cut around the white. Did two coats of Rust Oleum tint spray and did not use any clear.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As you can see by my signature I did the same thing. We taped off the whole light then stuck a flashlight in the whole and cut around the white. Did two coats of Rust Oleum tint spray and did not use any clear.
Well i plan to use vht. But i gotta say the flashlight idea is good i appreciate that tip

·
Registered
489 Posts
Well i plan to use vht. But i gotta say the flashlight idea is good i appreciate that tip
No problem it made it a hell of a lot easier! Good Luck with it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.