Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one guy I know who has a sedan cobalt,is selling his nitrous kit,I don't know how much it is until he gets back with me,sent him a message about it.Do you think it is worth getting nitrous?also I do plan on getting the 2.4 intake manifold regardless so I wont blow off the intake manifold like one guy did on youtube lol

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a reply today,he is selling it for 300 including install,and an extra 50 dollars for bottle warmer or a another 10 pound bottle.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
ive heard this before and it always made me laugh

nitrous is like vaiagra, its awsome when you got it, but your ****ed when you run out.

i wouldnt wantto put it in my car, because i wouldnt want to spary on every race i ever did. id much rather go for the engine build and have the power all th time.

but i guess the price is right, 300$ and it will make your car hella fast.

·
Registered
673 Posts
ive heard this before and it always made me laugh

nitrous is like vaiagra, its awsome when you got it, but your ****ed when you run out.

i wouldnt wantto put it in my car, because i wouldnt want to spary on every race i ever did. id much rather go for the engine build and have the power all th time.

but i guess the price is right, 300$ and it will make your car hella fast.
It's like fuel, don't be a douchebag and run out and your fine.

The guy on youtube blew his manifold because his window switch failed or so he says. In reality it was probably a piss poor install and a bad wiring job. Do it right and you won't blow your manifold even if it's made out of cardboard.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, I won't use the nitrous everyday,since I barely get a race out where I am located lol.I am just going to jump on this opportunity for 300 dollars I am saving myself 200 dollars and the guy is local by me so it makes it even better,but I am going to get the 2.4 intake manifold still,just to be a little more safer on the side where I won't blow off the 2.2 intake manifold lol.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The manifold really wont be that much safer. It's still a plastic composite not a sheetmetal manifold like you should have to run nitrous. I wouldn't go with nitrous without a tune and engine prep.

·
Banned
384 Posts
just do a quality intstal and dont run more than like a 50 shot and you should be fine.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The dangers of nitrous are greatly exaggerated. Seriously, just make sure you have all the safety precautions, run a conservative shot, and you will be fine. BTW make sure it's a wet kit since you have no way to tune the extra fuel you need. Nitrous always boils down to not doing anything hastily or crazily, take your time, do it right, and enjoy.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok I kind of figure a wet kit would be better.The guy who is selling it,hopefully its not gone by the time,he actually assisted on installing it for me.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what would be consider easier to fill up,wet or dry kits?

·
Registered
673 Posts
fill up is the same. In both kits you just use nitrous in the bottle. In a wet kit you use the test port on the fuel rail to pull fuel out and spray with the nitrous. In a dry kit you have to tune for the extra fuel and it comes through the injectors.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so I won't run into problems of finding a place to fill up the wet kit then eh?Well I see what you're saying with the wet kit compared to the dry kit,but say you go with bigger injectors and I ended up with a dry kit would that produce more power or be able to use the dry kit safely?

·
Registered
673 Posts
IMO there is no safe way to run a dry kit. Yes it can be done, but I wouldn't. The bigger injectors will only make things worse because you have no way to tune for them so it will throw the whole works off. Ideally with a dry kit you would tune for more fuel, however on the Cobalt (SS/SC) unless you are running 60lb injectors you will not have a big enough injector because you will max them out. So on an LT/LS you are just out in out screwed when it comes to a dry kit, which is why a wet kit is the best option.

·
Registered
575 Posts
And you shouldn't worry about making tons of power on a stock bottom end.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that makes more sense,only tune available anyways is the trifecta tune and I guess people in my state said it works fine and they have a 2.2.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The guy on youtube blew his manifold because his window switch failed or so he says. In reality it was probably a piss poor install and a bad wiring job. Do it right and you won't blow your manifold even if it's made out of cardboard.
It was a window switch failure and it was installed at a reputable shop...not a bad wiring job. Fuel puddling due to the failure caused the boom.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.