Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone out there wondering a205/65/16 tire won't fit on a cobalt I put these 65s I have around on works in the back not up front my struts were sitting right on the tire when I let the jack down so anyone wondering you'd need a lift to go any bigger the the 55 the 60s fit with no rubing untill you hit a bump so stick to the 55 or lower
Btw I just joined this group cause nowhere online tells you you can't put this size on hope it helps someone else before they change them to have to change them back
I gotta 09 cobalt lt 4door

·
Say What again!
6,105 Posts
That doesn't surprise me - that's 2.3" taller compared to the 195/60R15 that came stock on the base cars, and 1.6" taller than the 205/55R16 stock tires that came on 16" wheel'd cars (1.4" taller than the 225/40R18 tires on the SS cars).

You can actually go fairly wide with the tires on the car, but height is more of an issue, since you'll hit the strut.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No they made multiple versions of this car with five bolt four bolt mine runs 205/5516 stock

I found that I could go taller but it's the width that's giving me the trouble so if the tire was a 195 65 16 it would probably work or even a 185 which would make the tire base kind of short instead of wide but better for the winter

The way there's no troubles you could fit a 205-7516 in the rear there's lots of room but in the front there's no clearance room because of the way of the angle of the struts the bottom of the struts sits right on the tire about half of that strut and I mean my car is brand new I just paid $6,000 for it 2020 so I mean hey that's like a f** diamond Lamborghinis price lol

Like barely driven it's a 09 but nothing's broken on it no clips are missing there's not even a speck of rust

·
Say What again!
6,105 Posts
I'm well aware they made four and five lug versions of the car. And, referring to my post, you put a tire on that's almost 2 inches taller than your stock tire. You want to keep the diameter pretty close.

If you're running tires for winter, then I'd go with a 15" wheel and a 195/65R15 winter tire. About 1/2" narrower, 1/2" larger sidewall, and likely cheaper for tires.

If you ran the stock diameter, you'd be more than able to run a wider tire - there are guys out there running a 255 on an 18" wheel, on lowered cars, without any tire rub.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes man but they made different wheelwell sizes so I know exactly what your saying just I put this out here for peoplethat only have that specific tire laying around and don't want to spend $500 I was just telling them not to put it on their car cuz it's a waste of time find other tires btw have that tire it did not fit either like I said the strut is in the way

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next time I change my tires I will take a picture and post it with both sizes the 195 65 15 and the 205 65 16 they both have the exact same problem it's because of the front struts

·
Registered
279 Posts
You paid how much? Is it an SS? I found a few SS turbos for around that but thought that was too much. Looking for a Saab instead to mess with.

As far as the tires, I believe you could fit the larger tire with a FE5 struts. The mount for the spring is farther away from the center line of the hub.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh forgot to add that the dealership did about five coats and undercoat covering my gas line so it wouldn't break through and then I had the car for about a month and it broke through so that was another charge also but a guy in Brockville saved me a s*** ton of money Billings Auto I was looking at $1,500 at least quoted from every other place and they know I'm having a baby also in the next months so I can't have my car sitting at a shop for 2 months and then on the bay for 2 weeks it's like man what the f***

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would say by the SS to be honest with you depending on what kind of money you have to play with just because the part selection is crazy for the SS plus the output you can get out of that engine is tops pretty close to a V8 you can get 4 to 600 horsepower out of that engine with not a lot done to it plus they look really nice so my opinion would be as but that's up to you man how to think of when you want to order parts and things that car will take a long time for the parts to get to you where the parts shop will probably have every part that you need for the SS sitting right there especially if you're in the US

·
Registered
279 Posts
I actually just saw that the guy that owns the computer repair shop around the corner bought an SS. I’m guessing he’s gonna do something with it since he’s go a Corvette with a lot done to it and a few other vehicles that are fast. It’s white with a stupid fast and furious style graphic on the side. I bet he’ll be removing it. I should ask him if he’ll sell me the wheels.

I actually want to find a Saab now. Like a 9-3 Viggen. Although the ones I’ve seen that are of interest are north of $9000. Which is kind of crazy for an old Saab. I’m sure if I keep looking I’ll find one that’s not so much. Then again since they are harder to find these days the values have risen. Not so much when you look at price listing from Kelly Blue Book. They use a GM derived 2.0 and 2.3 engines in some of the models. Would be cool if I could easily swap a Saab engine into the Cobalt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
man I'd go other ways I would go SAbb with a Cobalt engine in it the 2.4 with the supercharger I'd swap it for a turbo cuz then you have it from the get go all the way not just at the end I bet you could get 500 horse out of the san engine after 10 grand and a hell of a time looking for parts that cobalt 4 600 with 2 or 3000 and that's a nice pair of shoes also with a lowering kit much less time and money will go in to the cobalt and you'll smoke vettes like for instance I used to own an '04 Blazer I was told I could take a turbo off of that lexis IS300 and bolt it right on the side of the vortex which was pretty cool to find it that could of boosted I'd it was done properly 200 hp to the 200 it comes with have you thought impreza or lancer since your looking upwards of 9000 cause man that's some money you really gotta think about I only got that cobalt cause I needed a car that day or I would have got something real nice except I probably would have had to sell it cuz we just found out we're having a baby and baby's wouldn't fit lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts