Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've a 2008 chevy cobalt that will not crank whatsoever, just got a new battery a we week ago, I think it's a blown starter relay...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Relays don’t blow. But fuses do. Relays can burn out, although it is fairly uncommon with the ones in the fuse box. They are quite reliable.

The more probable reason may be a wiring fault. The wiring that runs to the starter on these cars passes over the engine oil filter housing. Many times the wire loom disintegrates and the wires rub open and cause a short.

I had a Saturn Sky, though it had a 2.4 Ecotec, come to the shop with similar issues. It was entirely related to someone else screwing things up. In turn I replaced the damaged battery cables that ran to the starter and also had to replace the starter due to a stripped positive post.

You first want to start by testing, with a 12 volt test light, if the starter is receiving power from the ignition switch power source. It is the small clip on wire on the starter. Also should check that it is actually getting battery power from the large positive cables attached at the starter.

Worse case scenarios are that the fuse box is fried. That’s is unfortunate not uncommon. Neither is a bad body control module. They are know to just “go out”.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the same issue. Turn key on, all lights until turn to start, nothing. Replaced starter, (it was bad). Replaced starter switch, no change. Replaced PCM, same. Battery 2 months old.
I can jump across the relay and it turns over, but doesn't start.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
730 Posts
If the relay is getting the signal to the starter.... is the relay getting the signal from the BCM?

Now we don’t know if you have a std or auto transmission. One has a neutral safety switch while the other uses a clutch position switch.
So you tell me. .... more about your car... if an auto, try in park or neutral.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If the relay is getting the signal to the starter.... is the relay getting the signal from the BCM?

Now we don’t know if you have a std or auto transmission. One has a neutral safety switch while the other uses a clutch position switch.
So you tell me. .... more about your car... if an auto, try in park or neutral.
It is an automatic. I had checked the neutral switch, it was fine. Found aground that was not tight. (part of problem) Replaced ECM and programed anti-theft.
Problem solved.
Thanks

·
Registered
730 Posts
Now that your Cobalt is running, Any chance you swapped your original ECM back in to verify it is dead? If you still have the old ecm I would be intrested in it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts