Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2005 cobalt with a little over 100,000 miles on it that has been giving me problems for about the last 6 months. I've had to replace the crankshaft position sensor, upstream o2, fuel pump, fuel pump fuse, spark plugs & the fuel filter. After all this it ran great until yesterday. I tried to crank it and no go. It turns over and it threw a code but when I hooked up the reader all it says is "No Powertrain DTC's or Freeze Frame Data is presently stored in vehicle's computer". Does this mean my PCM is toast?
Thanks
Buddy

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
No. Just means there is no code. Might be your ignition module, they do tend to go bad on the 2005 after so many years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ideas? Car won't start again!

I replaced the ignition control module and it wouldn't start so I put the old one back on and it cranked up and ran for a few days just fine now the problem is back. I figured it might be the ignition coils going bad so I replaced those last night and it didn't fix the problem. I'm totally out of ideas on what to check next. All fuses inside the car and under the hood look fine even the battery one looks good. Is there a way to check the wire harness to see if it's even getting power?
Thanks, Buddy

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Have you tried pulling each fuse and re-inserting. Sometimes the tabs get corroded

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After reading a bunch of other posts, I'll try checking my battery voltage as well as the ground connections and make sure the boost post is tight. After that I'm out of ideas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally runs again!

I checked the boost post, ground connection, and the battery first. They all turned out to be good and tight with no signs of corrosion so I decided to pull out the fuses again and clean them up (even though they looked ok) and put a dab of dielectric gel on all of them and bingo the car starts. Lesson is, even if the fuses look good, clean them any way. lol

·
Registered
498 Posts
Woo hoo! Glad you finally found the problem!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You mean I was right again??? Darn....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.