Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Making progress on the BC getting it back closer to how GM delivered it and a bit better ..
The next problem is
No Sound in the front.
Those trusted sources said...."your stock paper speakers suck door water and are gone"...
Ok with that time for some cheep replacement. Maybe the stock xm, cd, mp3 can drive these.
Also wondering if the shop rag window crank removal works on this newer cobalt...we will soon see.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Be sure to order GM speaker adaptors to make your life easy. Cut the GM connectors off and use the lugs that come with the speaker. These are polarity sensitive so be careful. Cheap WalMart Pioneer, Dual or Sony all work good. Avoid three ways since speakers are at calf level.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok how to get image out of gallery into thread?
I have a pair of Bose 6-1/2" CH6530 about to be delivered.
Ok it Boss not Bose.....so my lisdexia kicked in.

So local Cheby dealer should have connector & terminals?
Any chance these are the same terminals for clock spring or BCM C2-61

And the problem with the 3 ways so low? The high will not carrie?
I would paste the image if i could they are uploaded to my 1966 tbird gallery

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I always just cut the factory plug off and put on the connectors that actually fit on the speakers. I find it extremely unlikely that stock speakers will ever go back in anyways haha

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
You don't need to avoid 3-ways - just don't spend extra money to get a 3-way over a 2-way. Better yet if you do a component setup and mount the tweeters up higher on the doors. Bass is omni-directional - treble is not.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the info.
I thought $18 delivered was a cheep enough price.
I bet if i spent another few hr shopping i could have saved another doller or 3.
This way i can get on to at least have some radio sound from the front.
Now on to a bigger problem...
Where & how would you mount tweeters in a stock 08 LS?
I think i remember SS or LT door panels have a place for them near the mirror adjust. Yes?

Still looking for a possible upgrade to factory power windows / locks.
Again many thanks

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
Yeah, you can mount them to the mirror flags, that's where mine are.

·
Registered
949 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the lead Parthros.
While waiting on fedex, just pulled RH door panel & removed the speaker.
I know i cant measure the impedance, but these low energy electrons from the radio can't jump very far.
My cheap multimeter says open.
Checked i was making good contact and it still says open. So off to the mill and the connector with about 1-1/2" of lead neatly removed from the speaker. Ill solder it on to the tabs on the new speakers.
The next suprise will be how to mount the new speakers.
Just close my eyes and tek-screw them to the door?
I also see how much they were WET.
Wish i had a water proof speaker cup for these speakers...oh well. They arnt going to get them today.

Kind of damp in this part of the country with enough water inside the door, no telling if they corroded open or were blown.
An how do you upload an image directly into posts?

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
You can either cut the old speakers out of the mounts - or buy the Scosche adapters which pop right in, in place of the stock ones. I have those and they work great.

The door is a wet environment, by design. The stock speakers have paper cones, so the water will eventually cause them to die. Aftermarket speakers aren't a paper cone, so they will be fine. Putting the baffles on the back of the speaker destroys bass response.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks MP81
Getting impatent on fedex so i pulled thr LF door speaker out. It too says open.
Need to learn more about those Scosche adaptors wondering if i could just pop over to WallyWorld or local larry Curly & Moe's or irish supply and knab a pair.

Want images on mirror wing tweeters.
Just found
SAGMHR634
2006-Up Select GM Vehicle 6.5" Speaker Adapter (pair)

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you have an image of those tweeters in the gallery?

Just removed th cone and foam from the oem speaker.
It looks very close to those adapters of yours. For me, new adapters are a week away and range from $10 to $40 apair.
surprisingly, WallyWorld said they had them for $10 but would say where the were or when you would get them. To me, that sounds like most of microsofts help.

·
Registered
949 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well i see this is an old topic and Coby7 said he purchaced 3 sets of these speakers for his Cobalts
.....well aint that special!! All the data one could wish for.

The original speakers are now cut out. Tithe speaker side of the connectors, are milled of reedy to be soldered onto the Ch6530s. I'll use hot glue to stiffen up the connector mount after the connections are soldered down.
You
Now i find out tha FedEx and USPS are playing footsies and my speakers that arrived 10 miles away 2 days ago are traveling around Dallas/Ft Worth about ready to travel back to Fl to be reshipped.
ROFLMAO. US Gov efficiency

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
Looks like that picture link didn't work.

Here are some of the pics from the front speaker install - I went with 5.25" speakers, so you'll see the small gap around the speakers. 6.5's will fill that up. I later used a 5.25" to 6.5" adapter that did the same.

I found out within a few months that I never should have mounted my crossovers here. Luckily I had another set of a/d/s crossovers, and they are now under the dash. And dry.

Installed

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Ok and far out!
That mirror remote does make a nice speaker mount. Thanks 81
Now 10:36 local and fedup or uspost still has not delivered my speakers.
This is going to turn into a full 6-pack wait. And it's not even noon.

I guess i'll just start the bbq and burn some cow waiting.

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
Yup, they work pretty well!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.