Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2007 2.2 automatic. Very well taken care of with only 75k miles.
The ignition switch recall has been done.

The battery is good. I've checked and swapped the fuses and relays. I've banged on the starter too. I've tried jumping it. I've scanned it with no error codes found or stored.
I tried starting it with both keys and in every gear.

When turning the key to on, all the lights light up, radio comes on, etc. When turning the key to start the engine, there's a click sound from under the shifter, and a click where the relays are, which I assume is normal. Nothing else happens. I don't hear a clunk noise from the starter relay. All warning lights shut off when holding the key forward to turn it on. This happened once last week but then started after.

I can't even begin to think what it could be this time. I'm wondering if it's the starter solenoid, but with all the issues the car has had (now has a bad HG!) I'm not sure it's simple. I've checked but can't find any fixes on this issue.
Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Engine ground strap maybe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the grounds and cleaned them up. Still nothing. I'm ordering a starter but I hate to throw parts at it. Seems like the only logical issue right now

·
Registered
153 Posts
A local auto parts store can test your starter for free. I would try that before opening the new one. Have you tested to see if there is power at the starter when you turn the key? Coby7, don't automatics have a safety so that the car will only start in park or neutral, and when the brake is applied? Could one of those have failed?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Autos will start without the brake being pressed, but I'm pretty sure you still have to be in Park.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Park or Neutral

·
Registered
949 Posts
I figured it'd start in neutral, but I've never done it :cheesy:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies, I've tried starting in park, neutral and with the brakes on.
When I turn the key, I don't hear any noise from the starter or solenoid. Friday I'm going to try jumping the starter with a screwdriver to see if it starts. If not, I may push it down the hill :laugh:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the bolts off the starter but it won't budge. I've been prying it and banging on it with no luck. Hopefully it comes off and I'll post back here if it's the problem!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turns out I removed a bolt from the engine block next to the top bolt for the starter.

Back to square one, and I can't get that top bolt off. It's loosened maybe 1/4" out. I spent 6 hours on it. I'm at the point now where I just keep flipping a wrench over and over to turn it about 1/20th of a turn each time. It's taking too long and now the wrench won't fit.
Can anyone tell me what exact tools I need to remove the top bolt? None of my tools will fit!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was able to change the starter and it fired up!
The top bolt isn't in all the way, I can't get a nut on it straight.

Now the gauges aren't working, and a lock/unlock light is lit up on the dash. Could that be because the battery needed a jump?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You may have blown a fuse with the jump

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like it has the common issue on these where there's a bad ground with the PCM/BCM and the Power Steering warning comes on but works fine, security light comes on sometimes and sometimes doesn't shift right. At least it starts now!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.