Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[/IMG]OK so I just bought these headlights off of an impulse, and am now realizing I might have made a mistake. As the more I dig into the threads on here the less confident I am in the fact that I will be satisfied with my purchase.
Spec-D® - Smoke Halo Projector Headlights with LEDs
-one reason being because I learned the difference between ccfls and led bulbs that make up the "angle eyes" within the headlight.
- so I am simply wondering if the LEDs that make up the Halo are in fact going to be as white and bright as there are depicted in the picture?and if they are not is it possible to upgrade to ccfls?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Cobalt Master
2,529 Posts
Don't do it...make retrofits

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

You can swap em tho, I did that to my gen 1s when I had em (pssst not any more;)) lol but yea their just a waste

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
At night they are super bright. During the day they aren't crazy bright but they make me happy. I actually get a good bit of people that ask me about them. Install isn't bad. You wire then the way you want.. I wired mine to the DRL and the 3 LED's to the turn signal. Then you just plug them in and you're done.

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

I just rewired mine yesterday ( soldered them) I had quick connects which is super easy, but one kept coming loose so I just soldered them

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
The running lights. If you have your car in drive the running lights are on. It's the orange corner lights on stock headlights. I would take a picture of the headlight wiring before you remove the stock one so you know which wire went where.. makes it much easier.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had Gen1's and the Halo's are pretty DIM, and if you're comparing them to CCFL's they're pretty much black lol.

*Do any aftermarket lights even come with CCFL's? or is that always a swap in?
My Gen3's are CCFL out of the box, which I had retrofitted with quad mini H1's and kept the CCFL's. My first set of Gen3's were LED's.....night and day difference between the LED and CCFL halos. I can actually drive at night by the CCFL halos (with about a 15-20 foot illumination glow), although it isn't recommended of course.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Install is usually plug and play. The LED halos thag come in "ebay" projectors are quite dim and going to be even more so with the smoked lens. The projector quality is alritht but not thw greatest. A ccfl swap for gen1 is very easy. Youll need 2x 100mm and 2x 90mm ccfl halos with inverters (60$ total from theretrofitsource). I would recomend retro fits which are also quite easy to make. I wouldnt recomend a smoke tint for headlights but to each there own.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Install is usually plug and play. The LED halos thag come in "ebay" projectors are quite dim and going to be even more so with the smoked lens. The projector quality is alritht but not thw greatest. A ccfl swap for gen1 is very easy. Youll need 2x 100mm and 2x 90mm ccfl halos with inverters (60$ total from theretrofitsource). I would recomend retro fits which are also quite easy to make. I wouldnt recomend a smoke tint for headlights but to each there own.
Why would you not recommend the smoked look for headlights?

·
Registered
922 Posts
I have spec D gen 1's in my LS, I love the look of them, and I've had no major issues with them. The LED's for the halos can be pulled out and replaced, as well as the 3 LEDs along the top. I've had mine for about 6 years. After about 5 years or so the lenses started to get cloudy and yellowish, and I'm currently rebuilding them. Of all the after market projectors I've seen installed, the Gen 1's seem to have the best fitment. My Depo Gen 4s in my SS are slightly off, and it bothers me quite a bit. If those are what you like. Give them a try. Although everyone around is going to tell you to do a retrofit with your stock housing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
922 Posts
Your going to want HIDs anyway... I didn't like the light output with just the H1 bulbs. Just do your self a favor and get some HIDs. Anywhere from 5000K to 6000k is going to be your best light output.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your going to want HIDs anyway... I didn't like the light output with just the H1 bulbs. Just do your self a favor and get some HIDs. Anywhere from 5000K to 6000k is going to be your best light output.
Sadly the highest HIDs carid offers is 4000k...what is a good website to buy some higher power bulbs?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
4000°K is not the power it is the colour temperature in degree Kelvin.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.