Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Cobalt. Recently I've noticed when turning i can turn the wheel just fine but after the turn when trying to center the steering wheel it will intermittently bind. It happens in either direction and there are no dash lights or odd noises.

Anyone else ever experience this?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have seen this in many vehicles of different makes and models. And it usually is the intermediate steering shaft.

There is a U-joint that will often times either wear out or develop corrosion in the needle bearings. The U-joint is not serviceable, so you will have to replace the shaft assembly.

This is a common problem on the Cobalt, and other GM vehicles. From the dealership you’ll find the steering shaft to be priced between $130-$180, depends on the dealership. Auto parts stores are going to sell them for about $110. Online you’ll find them between $50-$120, at places like RockAuto, Partsgeek, and Amazon websites.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I jacked the car up and found the passenger side ball joint was really loose. I tried to cut the rivets off the lower control arm but gave up and ordered a new OEM control arm from RockAuto. Hopefully that makes a difference.

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
yeah those rivets can be a PITA. I did a set on my old LS, to get them out I used a rivet shaver, then center punched the shankand drilled out about half of it then used a punch knock out the rest of it. took some time, those rivets are a beast.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You know I was going to say, why don’t you just order the whole arm. Looks like you already did. If the ball joints are bad, the bushings probably aren’t too far behind them.

I had considered rebuilding some control arms for my car. Although mine are in good shape. I will just end up buying the new ones instead. I’m going to end up using FE5 arms since they are stiffer. I’ve been convinced after reading other members usage of them on soft suspension Cobalts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts