Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know at least on Honda’s it was a common thing to go to the junkyard and get some wheels from another make or model and put the said wheels on another car. Say you had a Civic, found some wheels off another car that fit.

Being that not a whole lot of GM cars had used the 4X100 wheels, they aren’t too easy to find, unless they’re off another Cobalt or Ion.

Anyways, I’m curious as to if anyone here has swapped oem wheels from other cars onto the Cobalt? Haven’t found much when searching images. I'm quite sure there are plenty of people that have wheels from Honda on the Cobalt, but can’t find pictures to fill my mental image of what they might look like.

As far as my car, it’s got the stock 15” aluminum wheels that were standard in 2006. Although my door sticker indicates it was supposed to be optioned with the nicer looking 16” wheel. Not quite sure why it would have the option sticker that says it should be fit with the 16s, but it does.

I’m probably going to go with some 16s that I mainly have seen on Ions. But they must have come on the Cobalt as well since I’ve seen a few with them. These have the center inset instead of the more common ones that the center was flush with the face of the wheel. They look a little more stylish and not so plain, at least what I think.

These are the type that I am considering. There is an Ion that has the whole set in pretty nice shape. They’ll be about $95 for the set. Another $450 for the tires I want. I figure they will look a little nicer than what’s on the car now. Also 3 out of 4 wheels on my car are slightly bent and cause a little vibration. So I had planned to replace them anyways. I’ve seen some nice wheels on Honda’s as well. I do want something 16 or 17 inch though. And I guess since I’d be at the junkyard anyways, I can fit the wheels to a Cobalt just to see how they look before buying them. If I do that I’ll post some pictures of them as well.

·
Say What again!
6,291 Posts
I've not seen too many wheels from another OEM getting swapped on, but there definitely are a fair amount of aftermarket 4x100 wheels to choose from.

As long as the wheels have a hub bore larger than 57.1mm and are around the stock offset of +42mm (less is obviously ideal, as it'll push them further out, which will look better), they should fit without too much issue.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I see any interesting wheels at the junkyard next time, I might just give fitting them on a Cobalt a try. Take some pics to post here. I’m surprised nobody has already done that. I probably will pick up the wheels off the Ion though since they were an option for the Cobalt.

It’s too bad I sold all of the cool wheels I had for my Honda. I had several sets of wheels that would’ve fit my Cobalt. The only ones I have left are some of the rare optional 13s. But of course they don’t fit over the front brakes. I think they would look kinda weird for the size of the fender arches too. Probably would fit with spacers though.

·
Say What again!
6,291 Posts
I think most people just went right to aftermarket wheels because there are so many choices (likely more for the 4-lug cars than the 5-lugs).

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ain’t trying to spend big bucks on wheels on my $300 car. Haha. I have seen some aftermarket wheel I liked. But of course they are 17-19 inch wheel. I want 16s so I can keep enough side wall to be comfortable.

I’m hoping to go check out the junkyard pretty soon since the weather is getting nice again. So hopefully I can do some comparisons with what wheel I find out there. Hopefully nobody has snagged the wheel I want yet.

·
Say What again!
6,291 Posts
Don't blame ya there - I was on the lookout for factory aluminum wheels for my Cavalier when I had that, but even those weren't anything you could find for cheap, so double steelies it was (for the all-seasons and a second set for the winter tires). Even though MSRs, which I run on my Cobalt and my wife's Cruze, are very affordable, I didn't have any intention of spending that on the Cavalier (itself an $800 car), especially since there was basically no weight difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts