Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
That's Mr. meogE to you.
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have an LT that is pre-wired for fog lights but doesn't have them. I bought the switch, bumper inserts that hold the lights, and the fog light assembly. However, I have no idea how to get the fog lights to attach to the insert, I feel like I'm missing something really simple but there just doesn't seem like there's a way to make it work. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
104 Posts
So, I have an LT that is pre-wired for fog lights but doesn't have them. I bought the switch, bumper inserts that hold the lights, and the fog light assembly. However, I have no idea how to get the fog lights to attach to the insert, I feel like I'm missing something really simple but there just doesn't seem like there's a way to make it work. Any help would be appreciated.
The mount on the light should just snap into the inserts. Thats the way it worked on my 09 LT when i added the SS bumper. My car was also prewired all the way to the fuse block under the hood. Then you have to run your own wire from the relay that is clearly labeled foglights on the fuse block to the lights unless you are lucky and already have the connections for them at the bumper.

How do you know it's prewired for fog lights? Do all the LT's come prewired?
Mine came prewired up to the fuseblock under the hood

·
That's Mr. meogE to you.
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sadly I don't have the wiring to the bumper, I thought I did because I found a wire that didn't go to anything on the driver's side, any clue what that wire is for?

·
That's Mr. meogE to you.
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Beaver Falls area, right by the beaver airport actually.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Ebay should carry replacement ones that should work just as well.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Replacement wires? Its a waste of time and overpriced. Its easier to wire them up yourself
I thought he was asking for the bracket/projector.

Er... for the wire, I think he could only really get the harness through the dealership. It'd be easier to just use a relay to have them turn on with the low beams and if he wanted the ability to turn them off, a killswitch.

·
That's Mr. meogE to you.
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could I possibly bother you for pictures of where to wire the fog lights up to? I'm not really too familiar with wiring.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I thought he was asking for the bracket/projector.

Er... for the wire, I think he could only really get the harness through the dealership. It'd be easier to just use a relay to have them turn on with the low beams and if he wanted the ability to turn them off, a killswitch.
His car like mine has the wiring in the cabin for the stock fog light button therefor it is wired all the way to the fuse box. At the box there is already a relay. All he need to do is wire it from the stock foglight relay at the fuse box under the hood to the for lights. Its easy I just did it a month ago when I added the SS bumper.

Could I possibly bother you for pictures of where to wire the fog lights up to? I'm not really too familiar with wiring.
That would require me to take apart the fuse box under the hood and show you. Answer this when you plug in the stock fog light button on the trim to the left of the steering wheel next to the dimmerswitch do you here a clicking noise coming from the engine bay? Engine needs to be off obviously and your parking lights should light up

·
Registered
365 Posts
The fog lights would have to connect to the fuse for the switch to power them on.

Or you can tap the power off the low beams, this way they would come on with low beams.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The fog lights would have to connect to the fuse for the switch to power them on.

Or you can tap the power off the low beams, this way they would come on with low beams.
Or you can do what Ive been saying in the last post and have factory foglights that work they way they were designed but whatever if you want to rigg it go for it

·
Registered
365 Posts
I think everyone uses fog lights regardless of foggy weather.. thats not the way they were designed :amuse:

To OP:
These are your options assuming you have the fog light attached to the bumper:

OPTION 1
- Buy dash piece with fog light switch
- Connect the prewired harness to the switch
- Open fuse box and run a wire from your fog lights to the fog light fuse
- Optional: Go to dealer and let them reconfigure BCM so the fog light indicator appears in DIC

OPTION 2
- Splice the fog light wire to the low beam/parking light wire by the headlight
- Change the low beam/parking light fuse from 10A to 15A (using the spare fuses in fuse box)

Option 2 seems easier and cheaper to me giving the same effect. In option 1, for the fog lights to come on, the low beam or parking lights must also be on. In option 2, the low beam or parking lights must be on, the fog light comes on at the same time since they share the wire.

Either option is fine, its really up to you.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
His car like mine has the wiring in the cabin for the stock fog light button therefor it is wired all the way to the fuse box. At the box there is already a relay. All he need to do is wire it from the stock foglight relay at the fuse box under the hood to the for lights. Its easy I just did it a month ago when I added the SS bumper.

That would require me to take apart the fuse box under the hood and show you. Answer this when you plug in the stock fog light button on the trim to the left of the steering wheel next to the dimmerswitch do you here a clicking noise coming from the engine bay? Engine needs to be off obviously and your parking lights should light up
I was under the impression that the Cobalt's fog lights were controlled via the BCM, hence why it constantly resets when you start the vehicle.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was under the impression that the Cobalt's fog lights were controlled via the BCM, hence why it constantly resets when you start the vehicle.
True, kinda. They are controlled by the computer. When you press the button the computer energizes the relay under the hood hence turning on the foglights. When you wire the foglights up to the relay for the foglights in the fuse box under the hood, your light are controlled by the comp which is controlled by your foglight button. So to sum it up the comp still turns them off when you turn off the car and what not and when you want them on press the button and the comp will turn them on. The only problem I have with this is that since I added the lights everything on my car appears as if they came from the factor with them unless you look at the actual connections at the lights, but when I hit the button the indicator on the cluster doesnt light up and thats kind of annoying but O well GM wants $106 to tell the BCM it now has foglights. For $106 I can wait

I think everyone uses fog lights regardless of foggy weather.. thats not the way they were designed :amuse:

To OP:
These are your options assuming you have the fog light attached to the bumper:

OPTION 1
- Buy dash piece with fog light switch and hook up your prewired connector to the switch
- Open fuse box and run a wire from your fog lights to the fog light fuse

OPTION 2
- Splice the fog light wire to the low beam/parking light wire by headlight
I would go with option 1 if i was him just cleaner and factory looking.

·
That's Mr. meogE to you.
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did already order the switch and the trim panel so I'll be going with option one. I didn't know the relay was under the fuse box that helps a lot, I'll be attempting to wire them up as soon as I get the trim that holds the switch and let you know how it goes, thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I did already order the switch and the trim panel so I'll be going with option one. I didn't know the relay was under the fuse box that helps a lot, I'll be attempting to wire them up as soon as I get the trim that holds the switch and let you know how it goes, thanks for all the help.
Well u can still run the 2 power wires from the relay at the fuse box. Then ground them at the bumper

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.