Registered
2,036 Posts
No not necessarily, in this case keep running Mobil 1 full synthetic

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No not necessarily, in this case keep running Mobil 1 full synthetic
I was thinking the same thing. I understand how good Mobile 1 full synthetic is but I just dont see spending that kinda money on engine oil if the car doesn't get raced. I grew up on Valvaline and it has never let me down. Even on my passed 200k+ mile cars the oil never leaked. I also use Valvaline in my Camaro V8. I know that Mobile 1 and Royal Purple are great engine oil but if I had cash to spare I would buy Mobile 1 and the such. Not to anger you or anything. :thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
At least stick to synthetic especially if your engine has cam actuators. Valvoline is good

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. I understand how good Mobile 1 full synthetic is but I just dont see spending that kinda money on engine oil if the car doesn't get raced. I grew up on Valvaline and it has never let me down. Even on my passed 200k+ mile cars the oil never leaked. I also use Valvaline in my Camaro V8. I know that Mobile 1 and Royal Purple are great engine oil but if I had cash to spare I would buy Mobile 1 and the such. Not to anger you or anything. :thanks
I don't know what you mean about it being expensive, under $30 for 5 quarts at Walmart

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I've never seen the Mobil 1 synthetic for under 40, usually closer to 50 haha maybe I should go have a look at walmart...

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
I generally get the 5.1qt jugs of Mobil 1 for under $25. Last one I got I picked up for the standard $23 or $24, and then had a $12 rebate.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Once you see oil analysis of amsoil you won't buy another kind of oil. At least in the 1.4T Cruze the guys are running 15k mile oci without problems. Diesels can go for so long it's unreal

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I'm just keeping a 5k interval on Mobil 1

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone really trust the cars computer that tells us when to change oil? I have never waited for it to tell me it needs changing. I once got to 46%, but what % does it say change it?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I want to say 10% it comes on

·
Registered
37 Posts
I run Mobil 1 EP in the 2005 LS ,change the oil when I get to 5-8% and the Change Oil Soon message comes on. This is around 7,500 miles, been doing this for the last 75,000 miles the car is now at 115,000. The 5qt jug of Mobil 1 EP is only a few bucks more then Mobil 1 at walmart. Mobil recommends changes at 15K.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Don't forget to still change the filter at 3000 miles..... The change oil soon message comes on at 5%

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Filter is fine past 3k miles. I run mine to 9-10k and it's fine.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
I run a Delco.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
When I bought the black 08, it was due for an oil change and had 11000+ kilometers on it. The previous owner had switch to synthetic but had installed a conventionnal filter. When I removed it, it only had the plastic casing and a few pieces of paper drapping down on it. The oil poured out in clumps. I filled with oil, took it for a spin and changed the oil again to make sure all the paper was out of it. Take it from me all filters are not built alike. Plus the synthetic filter has a screen to help prevent this from happening

I'd rather be safe than sorry, "always".

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Never once had that issue with my AC Delco filter at 9k-10k miles...been doing that since I bought the car in 2008 (along with running full synthetic), and have put almost 90k on it - 75k of which has been with the supercharger.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.