Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 701 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well, lets get a list going of the intakes.

2.0 LSJ
-injen
-K&N
-RD Fabs
-AEM
- Airbox mod

2.2 L61
-Injen
-K&N
-AEM
-Custom
-Airbox mod
-Fujita
-Weapon R

2.4 LE5
-K&N
-Injen
-AEM

Any more?

Seems around the community that Injen is the favorite, mostly because it can function as a SRI for people who are afraid of hydrolocking, and also as a CAI.

I can speak on behalf of the K&N and AEM Intakes for the 2.4 as I have used both of them. AEM offers a dry flow filter claiming to never throw a code. The K&N is the only intake specifically made for the LE5 (2.4) motor and comes with an oiled filter. Many ppl stay clear of the K&N filters for fear of throwing a CEL, but in the 6 months I had mine on, never threw a code. IMO, an intake is an intake, just depends on if you wanna go custom or name brand, cause thats all youre buying.

·
Registered
678 Posts
which gives the best HP gain?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I imagine that the gains are all in the filter. The designs are all pretty much the same, like I said in the 2nd post, an intake is an intake. Its just a tube with a filter on it, straight up.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
my guess is the injen... dont know for sure though

·
Registered
678 Posts
so the filter causes the gain?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I imagine that the gains are all in the filter. The designs are all pretty much the same, like I said in the 2nd post, an intake is an intake. Its just a tube with a filter on it, straight up.
suprisingly, thats not true. the world of intakes actually is pretty interesting. all the japanese companies go through extenive testing to get the max power and believe it or not, there is a difference. I used to have a civic and believe me, all the intakes are just a bit different and make different power gains

·
Registered
277 Posts
so the filter causes the gain?
Well think of how a motor and an intake work. As ive said before, a motor is a very complex vacuum. When modding your car, youre trying to get as much air in, and out, as possible. If air cant flow freely through the filter, the tube, and then into the engine via throttle body, youll not maximizing the performance of your motor.

·
Registered
277 Posts
suprisingly, thats not true. the world of intakes actually is pretty interesting. all the japanese companies go through extenive testing to get the max power and believe it or not, there is a difference. I used to have a civic and believe me, all the intakes are just a bit different and make different power gains
I know this, but the differences are degrees on bends, diameter, etc etc. Polishing the inside of the intake is known to help as well, but honestly, the biggest gains are made with the filter you chose.

·
Registered
678 Posts
confused :confused:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
basically hp is a combination of filter and pipe design... k&n usually has the best filters but theirs is only a sri... I kinda wanna try the injen with a k&n filter... anyone know any problems with the fit?

·
Registered
678 Posts
ok im a lil less confused

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
what are you not sure about?

·
Registered
678 Posts
i just dont know much about this all so its just my lack of knowledge i guess

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
So which ones are pretty much guaranteed to not throw a code? All of the oiled ones have that possibility which leaves AEM, correct? :notrust:

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So which ones are pretty much guaranteed to not throw a code? All of the oiled ones have that possibility which leaves AEM, correct? :notrust:
My K&N through a CEL for a day. I disconnected the battery, connected it back and Im good :) No CELS yet :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
will the injen work on the 09 2.2 because i heard that they have the different lap engine not the l61

1 - 20 of 701 Posts