Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

801 - 820 of 820 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am getting neutral balances shafts as well as an under drive damper lower compression 9to1 pistons new connecting rods ARP head bolts and a stage 3 zzp turbo kit w/ boost control. Stock cams. Stage 2 clutch kit w/ fly wheel. Removing the engine regardless to get blue printed cleaned ect. Any other suggestions to be sure I don't blow it.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
I am getting neutral balances shafts as well as an under drive damper lower compression 9to1 pistons new connecting rods ARP head bolts and a stage 3 zzp turbo kit w/ boost control. Stock cams. Stage 2 clutch kit w/ fly wheel. Removing the engine regardless to get blue printed cleaned ect. Any other suggestions to be sure I don't blow it.

why would you lower comp on a 2.4??? shouldve bought a 2.2

·
Registered
4 Posts
have fun spending like 7-8k on a cobalt that's only gonna put out about 400 max...
I don't see how that is helpful at all my friend. You are the mod correct? Aren't you supposed to answer these questions instead of mock me for how much I want to spend on my car?

---------- Post added at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 AM ----------

why would you lower comp on a 2.4??? shouldve bought a 2.2
Because the engine is not originally designed to take boost you should know you have to lower compression to build a turbo safely over 8psi. And I didn't buy a 2.2 because I bought the 2.4 so what? I don't see how your comment was in any way helpful to my question.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
No I'm not a mod. But I've lived, spent a lot of money and have learned. You have a 1 wheel drive vehicle and youre only gonna make so much effectively. You can put more boost on stock compression if you have the supporting mods to do so.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Some people care more about the experience and fun in modifying a car over how much money they spend, regardless of how much WHP it can make. It was so much fun building my little 2.2 to a Supercharged 2.2 and then building it into a Turbocharged 2.2..Don't regret it one bit..More power to you Sunlightsamurai

·
Registered
4 Posts
Some people care more about the experience and fun in modifying a car over how much money they spend, regardless of how much WHP it can make. It was so much fun building my little 2.2 to a Supercharged 2.2 and then building it into a Turbocharged 2.2..Don't regret it one bit..More power to you Sunlightsamurai
You rock. Thank you. Someone who finally gets it. I really like gettin my hands dirty and this car is begging for new pistons and forced induction.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
I don't see how that is helpful at all my friend. You are the mod correct? Aren't you supposed to answer these questions instead of mock me for how much I want to spend on my car?

---------- Post added at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 AM ----------

Because the engine is not originally designed to take boost you should know you have to lower compression to build a turbo safely over 8psi. And I didn't buy a 2.2 because I bought the 2.4 so what? I don't see how your comment was in any way helpful to my question.

For one ive owned a turbo 2.4.I was pushing a solid 12 psi from a 50 trim into it. you can push them to about 400whp as it is with certain years. The perks of having a 2.4 is because of the 10.4.1 compression. because the compression is a bit higher than most of the other ecotec with added boost it can put out great numbers without needing alot of it. if you wanted to go lowercompression it's better to do it on the 2.2 because they are the ecotec motor that has the most parts available and would give you the most reliable and responsiveness to rebuilding besides the lsj and lnfs....

lowering the comp just means you're going to have to throw alot more boost at it. I've seen a few low comp 2.4s and they put out numbers lower than those that just went stock comp forged or even stock internals.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Compression ratio doesn't dictate boost levels in any way shape or form.

Boost is a measurement of restriction and will be more efficient the better the setup flows.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
You rock. Thank you. Someone who finally gets it. I really like gettin my hands dirty and this car is begging for new pistons and forced induction.
i understand completely because i've done and am doing what you're doing. but if you want a fast, reliable car, this isn't really going to be it

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Lowering the CR on the engine does NOT allow you to run more boost for more power. Lowering the CR on the engine DOES however allow you to run more boost WITHOUT knock on pump gas. More boost does not always mean more power. There are a LOT of factors involved in building engines that determine the power outputs you are going to have.

For example. My turbo on my evo doesn't "wake-up" until 30psi+. If I were to run anything bigger than 9.5:1 CR pistons I would have to add some sort of alcohol/higher ethanol based fuel (e85 or race gas or meth injection), just for the simple fact of with that much boost, you are adding higher temps with the extra compresson and you will get detonation without adding a type of "cooler" additive into the fuel to help keep it from detonating pre-maturely. You CAN run the stock 10.4:1 CR pistons in your turbo'd 2.4, HOWEVER, this does NOT mean you can't push more boost or the same boost out of it as a 2.2. However, this does mean that you are going to need to add something to your setup to run more boost, and the TUNE has a lot to do with it too. If you can tune for the extra fuel needed for the more boost, as well as the cooler additives, but if you can't tune the car yourself or have someone help you tune it and you start getting knock, REGARDLESS of the CR you have, you will blow it up.

Adding CR to an engine does actually give you more power. So if you can find that medium of CR and boost, you will maximize the amount of power you are going to be able to push out of the engine. So yes, you can raise the CR, and the boost, you just have to make sure you're not doing anything to over push it without the proper safety steps taken to make the engine more "bullet proof" as some of us refer to it as.

In cobalts you have a 3 degree tolerance of KR that you can "safely" get out of these engines. Anything more than that, and you're actually damaging the engine. Obviously with more boost, you have to have a more spot on tune to keep you from getting the KR, so you won't blow up your engine. Just do a little more research before fully deciding on what you want to do. Just don't be discouraged by some, but also, try to keep in mind a lot of us on here have a LOT of experience doing these things with not just these cars, but others as well, and we have a lot of information to give to someone that wants to know. Don't take the information given as a threat or harassment or anything negative, just use it as helpful knowledge that you can use to help further your knowledge on the stuff you're trying to do.

WITH THAT SAID, keep this stuff civil. I read what seemed to me to be a little hostility. I don't want to have to start deleting posts in a sticky.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Lowering the CR on the engine does NOT allow you to run more boost for more power. Lowering the CR on the engine DOES however allow you to run more boost WITHOUT knock on pump gas. More boost does not always mean more power. There are a LOT of factors involved in building engines that determine the power outputs you are going to have.

For example. My turbo on my evo doesn't "wake-up" until 30psi+. If I were to run anything bigger than 9.5:1 CR pistons I would have to add some sort of alcohol/higher ethanol based fuel (e85 or race gas or meth injection), just for the simple fact of with that much boost, you are adding higher temps with the extra compresson and you will get detonation without adding a type of "cooler" additive into the fuel to help keep it from detonating pre-maturely. You CAN run the stock 10.4:1 CR pistons in your turbo'd 2.4, HOWEVER, this does NOT mean you can't push more boost or the same boost out of it as a 2.2. However, this does mean that you are going to need to add something to your setup to run more boost, and the TUNE has a lot to do with it too. If you can tune for the extra fuel needed for the more boost, as well as the cooler additives, but if you can't tune the car yourself or have someone help you tune it and you start getting knock, REGARDLESS of the CR you have, you will blow it up.

Adding CR to an engine does actually give you more power. So if you can find that medium of CR and boost, you will maximize the amount of power you are going to be able to push out of the engine. So yes, you can raise the CR, and the boost, you just have to make sure you're not doing anything to over push it without the proper safety steps taken to make the engine more "bullet proof" as some of us refer to it as.

In cobalts you have a 3 degree tolerance of KR that you can "safely" get out of these engines. Anything more than that, and you're actually damaging the engine. Obviously with more boost, you have to have a more spot on tune to keep you from getting the KR, so you won't blow up your engine. Just do a little more research before fully deciding on what you want to do. Just don't be discouraged by some, but also, try to keep in mind a lot of us on here have a LOT of experience doing these things with not just these cars, but others as well, and we have a lot of information to give to someone that wants to know. Don't take the information given as a threat or harassment or anything negative, just use it as helpful knowledge that you can use to help further your knowledge on the stuff you're trying to do.

WITH THAT SAID, keep this stuff civil. I read what seemed to me to be a little hostility. I don't want to have to start deleting posts in a sticky.

thats all im saying. people take things personal for no reason. its all very simple. i just think people should take a look at what others have done with similar setups before going for that "low comp high boost" stuff. 2.4s are awesome motors. i picked it for that specific reason.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hey guys i just got the zzp stage 3 turbo kit. I know the stock rods and pistons are recommended to only handle like 250 hp. Should i get better ones and where can i get them?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
675 Posts
I know how they work but i know making more power can make the engine more unreliable if you don't build it to be able to handle it

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2 Posts
So anyone got any parts they'd sell?. I have everything i need for my turbo kit for my 2.4L cobalt except for a few things.
BOV(preferably tial)
Oil feed and return lines (for a s252et turbo)
Turbo oil pan ( or instructions on how to tap my current one)
And a turbo manifold

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also a DIY guide of some sort would help because its my first turbo and i know the parts i need and theoretically where they need to go but im having trouble finding detailed instructions. Wouldnt it be nice if zzp just sold a how to for dummies book lol

801 - 820 of 820 Posts