Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 base model 2.2L and was wondering if a oil catch can would work with my vehicle. I wasn't sure if it was meant for cars with superchargers and turbochargers. My throttle body plate does need cleaning every now and then. If I'm not mistaken, is it connected by the little 4 inch tubing that goes from the top of the enging to the air intake housing?

---------- Post added at 02:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 AM ----------

What size hose should I use?

---------- Post added at 03:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 AM ----------

and you don't fill it with anything to trap the contaminants do you?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Heres the end result.
After[/B]

Holy around the world catch can line! lol
I dont have a picture of mine. I will one get later.

Size, depents how far the can is. Diameter, use the same.
Mine doesnt have nothing, gravity will just separates the oil from air coming back, hence the name air/oil separator.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Don't think you'd really need a catch can unless you have a GDI engine. Looks good though.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The oil catch can is for engines whom use a lot of oil pressure, a common 2.2L with the stock internal pump does not require one. Its more of a engine show thing. Your throttle body needs some oil to lubricate the intake runners down to the plenum. That's why theres a tube coming from top of engine and for some odd engineers idea for positive crankcase ventilation (PCV). It wont kill your engine to do a catch can cause oil does build up in clumps, but if you regularly do oil changes and proper mileage service, you wont need one.

Race cars (im talking real race cars) use one cause they are using a dry sump oil pump outside the engine to where you need to prime it before a race to build up pressure and temperature (generally 5-6 chamber type pump). If they didn't use one, the crankcase ventilation would cause the engine to pop, so one is required and to keep too much oil from traveling back to the throttle plate causing oil in the combustion chamber.

That's the idea behind oil "catch" canisters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.