Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked through similar threads but didn't find the answer to my question.

Just bought my Cobalt at an estate sale. Records show that the semi-synthetic oil was changed approximately a year ago and that the car has driven 1k miles since then. DIC shows 90% re oil.

Since it is semi-synthetic, my guess is that it would still be ok to at least drive the car for a few K extra miles before changing the oil.

I'd like to get your opinion.

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 AM ----------

This is the first car I've owned with an outside temp thermometer display. Anyone have an idea as to how accurate these thermometers are?

Thanks!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Oil should be good for, IDK, maybe like another 5K miles? With semi-synth, the non-synth part can expire, so there's some time involved in it. I'd suggest fully-synth when you get your next change.

One of the other guys around here should be able to give you a better estimate.

Outside temp is usually accurate within 5 degrees F for me. You could probably double check it by checking to see if a weather app agrees with it or not.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Awesome, way to be on top of it! Never a bad idea to use synthetic.

As for your other question, hopefully one of the more experienced guys will drop in here and know for sure :bigsmile:

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
As long as the oil looks new, I'd probably believe that it only has 1k miles on it since it was changed. More than fine to run that until it's time for an oil change.

I regularly run my Mobil 1 to about 9-10k, and I don't drive the car nicely (nor is it stock).

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Perfect, then I think you're good until the next change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.