Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this has been a long time discussion over many forums and asked different ways sorry if its a repeat, i dont drive nearly as much as i use to (maybe 8k miles a year) i use mobile 5w-30 and a factory oil filter. my main question is about my oil filter and whats it doing over time. i totally belive in the 6 month syn oil change interval or even higher mileage but as long as i can rack up the miles in 6 months. currently i did my last oil chnage dec 4th and have only driven 4500 miles im sure the oil is ok but im worried the filter may not filter be 100% up to par i may start changing the filter every 3k miles and do oil every 6k miles as long as continue to drive this little. Does the oil life monitior actually "record/keep track of" cold starts, intown driving, driving habits such as reving stop and go and long idol periods in traffic? I know a 5$ dollar filter every 6-8 months would pretty much answer my question here just wanted some of your opinions also thanks?

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
i run synthetic but i still change my oil every 2.5-3k miles. your car will run more efficient if you change it more often. you can always pop off and check the filter, but since you have it out and it takes an extra 10 mins, why not just change the oil?

·
Registered
131 Posts
... i may start changing the filter every 3k miles and do oil every 6k miles ...
I would not recommend you re-use the oil. You don't know what you can get in your oil while you change the filter and put it back in the car.
You can always go ahead and buy a premium filter and just run 3-5k miles between oil changes. I believe in changing oil every 3k miles or 6 months religiously. Changing oil too often is not beneficial either because it hurts your wallet and you'd have to get rid of the oil more often.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I use to change my oil every 3K, then I started taking my car to the dealer for oil changes and they baiscly told me there is not point. (I take it to the dealer because its is cheaper then everywhere else only cost me about 35 bucks for a full synthetic oil change) I was talkin to the service tech and he said the way the motor is designed you can get 6.5K out of an oil change without problems. I even have a sticker on my door sil put there by the dealer that says 6.5K oil change interval. I asked about the filter and he said that the cartrige filter can withstand 6.5K unlike some of the screw on canister filters from other vehicles. I was sceptical but I have heard it from 3 or 4 people at the dealer so I just go with it. (I usualy only get like 4500 or 5000 on it before I change it because of the way I drive and there are a lot of hills where I live)

·
Say What again!
6,013 Posts
I run the AC Delco filter, and run about 7500 miles on Mobil 1 Synthetic. Filter still looks good too, I wouldn't run the filter much past 7.5k though.

·
Registered
985 Posts
6000 for conventional
8000 for synthetic

Changing the oil every 2-3000 is a total waste of money, and no, its not 'more effecient' cuz the oils still perfectly fine.

·
Say What again!
6,013 Posts
Yeah, that's a complete waste of money. Conventional I'd change at about 5k.

Trust me, you'll know if somethings wrong.

·
Say What again!
6,013 Posts
Well, it is...but that really is overkill. You'll save a lot of money changing it every 4-5k miles, and the car won't know the difference.

·
Say What again!
6,013 Posts
Cool, just hate to see you throwing away money, ya know?

·
Say What again!
6,013 Posts
It's not, in the least.

Just no reason to change the oil that much. That's like changing the milk in your cereal before you eat it all, haha

·
Registered
39 Posts
Age-old question. I've been changing the oil and filter whenever the change oil soon message appears on the dash. Semi-synthetic. Various oil filter brands. Oil changes are averaging to around 7500 miles. Currently have over 213000 miles on the car and can't complain.

·
Registered
395 Posts
i changed my oil today, took the old filter out and cut it up, spread it out and looked at it, only contaminants in the filter were about 5 specs of metal, nothing to worry about :)

i use motorcraft semi synthetic lol (YES, ford oil!)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.