Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought my 2010 LT a month ago. It comes with two years of free tire rotations and oil changes. I want to run full synthetic in her, but they only change it with conventional. They wont even let me pay a little extra for the upgrade. So my question is, with 19k miles, is this as critical time to start running synthetic? If so ill just change my own then haha.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I know a lot of people will say to go synthetic, but I just go dino and change every 3K. The only important thing is to change it at regular intervals and keep it topped off.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then I will probably just take advantage of the 2 years free oil changes then. After that, I will probably switch to AMSOIL or something like that. Really need this car to last me along time.

My 03 L200 with the L61 has 190k on it, and the cams feel like sandpaper and are all pitted up. Severely down on power, and usually shifts around 3500-4k depending how light the gas pedal is pressed. I feel like some of the previous owners neglected to change oil for several intervals at a time. Still not a single drop of oil underneath, or seepeing anywhere on ANY of my 3 2.2 Ecotecs.

Sorry for posting in the wrong thread.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
I hear good things about Royal Purple too.

If you have the service, might aswell take advantage of it. There's no harm in using dino oil in our cars. I do my own oil changes and have been using Castrol Edge w/Syntec regularly for a long time. Usually replace between 5-6k kilometers.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With my cavalier and L200 I change every 2500-3k miles. I usually do plugs at that time too. Well, the Cavalier gets the new ones, then I take the ones from the cavalier and pass them down and put them in the Saturn. When its time for plugs in the cobalt I will pass them down as well. Sooooo Expensive.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Cavalier takes platinum plugs. They are a dime a dozen so I don't really care. And yes I do change them that frequently. And its not like I throw them out. They are used in my Saturn after the cav used them for 3-4k miles, and they will get used another 3-4k miles. The cobalt I wont change them anytime soon. 8$ a plug? no way im doing that once a year ha-ha.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I get my escape done at the dealer. $37 for a complete look over, tire pressures checked and synthetic blend 5w20 and motorcraft filter. I can't buy the oil for $37 let alone then have to change it.

My cruze will go to the dealership as well but mostly just because it has warranty to worry about.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last time i had somebody change my cavaliers oil, they didnt replace my filter, and i was a qt. low.

Thats what i got for going to a shop that also serviced lawnmowers.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Yeah, I know how you feel. My dad's mechanic/friend is a butcher. He has that 'I don't care' attitude when working on other people's cars that I can't stand. He doesn't even line up the lift points, he just kicks the legs under the car and lifts.

Whatever I could do on my own, I'll do.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I'd do it yourself and go by the DIC. Some dealerships will do the oil change with you bringing your oil. But at that point you might as well do it yourself.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I don't trust the dic. I always change mine at 6000km or 20% on full syn oil changes

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Yeah by DIC I mean 20% on synthetic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
just want to throw my $0.02 worth in.

you can get five quarts of Mobile1 at wal mart for $25.

there really is no need not to go by the GM oil life monitor, remembering that you also need to change every year, regardless, and reset the monitor.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=130050

I also am a big fan of using the right tool. get a Amazon.com: Lisle 14700 1-1/4"/32mm Oil Canister Socket for GM Ecotec: Automotive

and get a torque wrench. harbor freight has them on sale for like $10 pretty frequently. a 3/8 will do the trick. too easy to over tighten the drain plug or filter cap.

·
Registered
340 Posts
^^^Definitely get the tool/socket^^^

Almost broke the cap on daughter's former Cavalier getting it off. Former owner/mech. welded that thing on...way too tight.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.