Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all: sorry for a dumb question, but has anybody changed their oil without jacking the front end. In other words, is it possible to reach and undo the oil plug as the car sits on the driveway? I wouldn't be bugging u with this question, except that it's still lots of snow and freezing here in Canada and i'm 72 years old, so i cannot try it myself for another couple of weeks, for sure. Thanks a lot for your help.

Cheers :)

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
I'm sure you can...but it's a lot easier to do without jacking up...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Depends on how skinny you are. I certainly can't.

Also, it would help greatly to have a quick drain valve such as a fumoto instead of the standard oil an bolt. It sometimes takes a good amount of leverage to break the standard bolt loose.

You can alternatively buy a set of ramps. The non-SS models should be able to use those without issue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
just did an oil change on my ls, 2.2
it might be able to be done without jacking but im sure its going to be alot harder.
once the car was jacked up, it was alot easier to maneuver around under there.

good luck!!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
lol we dont have a creeper so I love doing it in the winter with some snow on the driveway...

just get the car up the ramps, lay on a dish thing (a sled for the snow) and slide under the car on disc on the snow :D if any oil gets on the snow thats fine jsut scoop it up and none gets on the driveway, nice and clean :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just wanted to thank you all sooo much for helping me :) You are really a wonderful group of (i assume) mostly young people. As my oil change "challenge" is concerned, i don't have ramps, so, when it warms up a bit here, i'll try to undo the oil plug without jacking the car. If it's too tight or no room to put any force on it, i'll have to take it in to an oil change place of some kind.

Thanks a million.
veryold.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
lol no problem, if u go to a lubeshop/stealership make sure the monkeys put the filter cap back on, put a new gasket on the filter,lube the nut on the oil pain,tighten the nut back up.... check ur dipstick before you leave as well lol.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you turn the wheel all the way to the right you can get to the drain plug a lil easier without a jack. That is if you are skinny enough like that other guy said.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
If your old, you've worked long enough not to have to change your own oil.
Yes, i can afford to pay, but my balt is so new and is working so perfectly, and i feel that i would like to treat it to a fresh and top quality oil myself. I can not do more involved mechanical repairs, but oil change seemed to be doable.

If you turn the wheel all the way to the right you can get to the drain plug a lil easier without a jack. That is if you are skinny enough like that other guy said.
Thanks. Could u tell me if the drain plug is facing down towards the road, or it is facing sideways ? I assume it is located on the left side (as i am facing forward) of the engine. Thanks.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Yes, you can take the oil plug out yourself without jacking the car up. I change my oil like that all the time. You also do not have to be skinny, as I am 5'10" and weigh 285. Yeah, I a big boy.

Lay down on your back beside the passenger tire with your left elbow even with the tire and your head facing the rear of the car.
Turn your head and look behind the passenger tire. You will see the plug there.
One thing... It does take some force to get it broke loose...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, you can take the oil plug out yourself without jacking the car up. I change my oil like that all the time. You also do not have to be skinny, as I am 5'10" and weigh 285. Yeah, I a big boy.

Lay down on your back beside the passenger tire with your left elbow even with the tire and your head facing the rear of the car.
Turn your head and look behind the passenger tire. You will see the plug there.
One thing... It does take some force to get it broke loose...
Will mpg: this is great, thank u so much :):):) As soon as it worms up here, i'll try it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I just changed mine yesterday. Jacked it up and used a roller to go under from the front. I've got a hydraulic jack and stands so it easier that way. 15mm socket by the way.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just changed mine yesterday. Jacked it up and used a roller to go under from the front. I've got a hydraulic jack and stands so it easier that way. 15mm socket by the way.
hi dondiego: could i just ask u where did u put the jack on the car ? IOW, the exact location. Thanks a lot :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.