Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am planning a road trip tomorrow and was curious if I have to worry about changing my oil before I go. My destination is 300 miles one way and my DIC is saying that I have 32% left on my oil life. What to you guys think?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
More importantly is how many miles do you have on the car since, or how long ago since, the last oil change?

IMO if you have a lot of either miles (>6K) or months (>6 mos)since the last oil change I would change it if it were my car...but then, I'm more "anal" about the oil in my car then most people...LoL!

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Many people will tell you your fine, but personally I still change my oil every 3000 miles which is at about 50% on my DIC. So I personally would change it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's only been about 4000 miles and 4 months since the last oil change. It's just so hard to let go of that old school thinking and trust the computer. I did call a chevy dealership and asked them if I should go by the DIC when it tells me to do the oil change and they said yes. I should rephrase my question and ask if the DIC waits until 0% to tell you to change your oil or does it do it at 10% or some other percentage?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I believe when it gets down to 5% the change oil soon message will start appearing. It will appear every time you start the car until you get it changed.

·
Registered
360 Posts
In my opinion, you should never go by the oil life monitor,
unless your driving conditions are way above normal....
(I am sure they are not) because that was designed in a lab
and not real world situations. again IMO thats running your oil
toooo long and that is not good on your engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't know about everyone else here, but I usually wait until about 40% life. That usually takes me about 4000 miles or so. I too am very anal about my car so I have been using full synthetic oil and my car seems to respond to it pretty good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't know about everyone else here, but I usually wait until about 40% life. That usually takes me about 4000 miles or so. I too am very anal about my car so I have been using full synthetic oil and my car seems to respond to it pretty good.
Do the exact same, and haven't had any problems either.

·
Registered
298 Posts
This was on another post, but I believe the consensus was very regular oil changes no matter what oil you use. In a poll taken a few weeks ago, synthetic oil was prefered at about 60% over conventional oil.

Personally, I change mine every 3k miles and us Mobil 1

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.