Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 2008 Cobalt, and I have to do my first oil change. I commute to work 50 miles each way, so I wanna make sure I take that into consideration when selecting my oil and filters. Any suggestions for me?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Make sure you use Full Synthetic. I've been using Pennzoil Platinum and sometimes Mobil 1. Decided to try Amazon Basics Full Synthetic. It's supposed to be really good as well. I also use WIX for the oil filter. I also drive 44 miles each way to work and back. As for the interval, I just wait for the "Change Oil Soon" message comes up. So, I'd say, the interval's usually around 12,000 to 14,000 miles. I usually do have to add a quart at around the 50% life mark. That's not bad for an engine with almost 237,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Run full synthetic, it's just a better oil. Brand doesn't matter. But don't go by the oil change interval in the computer, it has no way of knowing how dirty the oil is. Just keep track of your mileage and change it at around 8k miles. Oil is the heart of your engine, don't be trying to stretch the mileage too much. And if in doubt, go by the owner's manual.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts