Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my car used from a ford dealership its a 2008 cobalt ls sedan. whatever oil they put in it, it said it didnt need to be changed until 5k miles. does it depend on the oil used or what cause im at 25% and im nearing 52k miles i got car at 47k. getting oil changed every 5k miles safe or no?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I always go by mileage. 3-5K seems to be the consensus but again, it depends on the oil and how hard you use your car. I change my oil every 3K with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got a 2005 Cobalt, and since mid-2008 I've been obeying the computer and only changing the oil when it tells me to. I went 7,500 miles between oil changes and then made this video: YouTube - 7,500 miles between oil changes - no problem

After that, I went another 8,000+ miles until my next oil change, which I did about a month ago. No problems at all so far. The engine still sounds fine.

When I bought the car new at the dealership back in 2005, the salesman told me to ignore the 3,000 mile/3 month rule and to only change the oil when the computer said so. I ignored him because it sounded too good to be true. Later, I noticed that the Cobalt User's Manual also said to obey the computer, and that some cars would need fewer than one oil change per year. I started investigating back in 2008 and also found some YouTube vids released by GM in which they again reassured owners that following the computer was the way to go (you can probably still find these vids if you search). Popular Mechanics also did a study many years ago--which I found during the course of my research--that concluded the 3,000 mile/3 month rule was obsolete thanks to better oil additives and better car engines, and modern cars can last just as long having the oil changed every 5,000 miles/5 months or even less often than that. Finally, I called up the GM dealership where I bought the car and talked to a mechanic in the Service center, where they do oil changes on Chevrolets all day. He confirmed that the 3,000 mile/3 month rule was bunk, and that you were best off saving some time and money and following the computer. It's not a joke. The oil industry and the car service places keep perpetuating the myth that your car engine will break down someday unless you change the oil every 3,000 miles or 3 months because they make more money when people keep bringing their cars in for needless service.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
I would say it's probably safe to go longer on oil changes but I myself stick to the 3-5k oil change. it's just my preference. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
135 Posts
^This. For me, as well, it's a matter of preference.

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

I cringed when you placed the cup of oil on your car and again when you rested the oil drain pan on the hood lol.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
hahahaaha yeah i cringe at that stuff too. like nails on a chalk board haha

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

even though I do change mine in the 3-5 range. I don't disagree with proyas

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I've gone by the DIC. If you change synth at 3-5K intervals, you might as well be dumping new bottles of the stuff in the trash. Modern oil is much better in its characteristics than oil of 10 to 20 years ago. The detergents are better and the oil doesn't degrade nearly as fast. The old 3/5K intervals were mainly meant for use with older oils such as SAE-30 that didn't have the robust addatives that modern oil does. Most oil change places still adhere to the system primarily because it is good business. They make much more money promoting at least 4 oil changes a year (Or more if you actually drive more than 3K in 3 months of time) than they do promoting doing it only when the OLM says so. It used to be that GM's OLM system was based on milage, but the one in the Cobalt is calculated using a complex forumla that GM has programmed into the car. This formula takes into many variables such as engine RPMs, load, engine temps...etc.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok cool well since its been about 5k miles ill get and oil change on tuesday but what brand and type is best? i heard 5w-30 mobile 1 full synthetic is best.

·
Registered
135 Posts
ok cool well since its been about 5k miles ill get and oil change on tuesday but what brand and type is best? i heard 5w-30 mobile 1 full synthetic is best.
That's what I use. Walmart has it for $23.50 for 5 gallons.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what I use. Walmart has it for $23.50 for 5 gallons.
oh ok i would buy it and do it myself but im too scared of messing it up lol but at an oil change place u get to pick your oil right? and they change your filter?

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Depending on the oil you use you can go as long as 15000 mile between changes. Just make sure you are using a group IV class oil. Group IV is the only "real" synthetic. Group III is crude based oil but can be called synthetic. In the 90's Mobil file suit against Castrol on the use of the term synthetic in oil advertisement. Castrol won so now synthetic is just an ad term. Group IV is the real stuff. I use only Mobil 1 as it is the oldest readily available group IV oil. only amsoil synthetic has been around longer.
If you change the filter at 7500 miles and keep it topped off Mobil 1 is good for 18000 as verified in independent testing. I usually change it at 7500 anyways though. Of course I do almost 40000 a year so I do alot of oil changes. also Mobil has neW 0- 30 and 0 40 fuel economy oil out now. i will be changing t that at my next oil change as it is the same price as regular mobil 1

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Depending on the oil you use you can go as long as 15000 mile between changes. Just make sure you are using a group IV class oil. Group IV is the only "real" synthetic. Group III is crude based oil but can be called synthetic. In the 90's Mobil file suit against Castrol on the use of the term synthetic in oil advertisement. Castrol won so now synthetic is just an ad term. Group IV is the real stuff. I use only Mobil 1 as it is the oldest readily available group IV oil. only amsoil synthetic has been around longer.
If you change the filter at 7500 miles and keep it topped off Mobil 1 is good for 18000 as verified in independent testing. I usually change it at 7500 anyways though. Of course I do almost 40000 a year so I do alot of oil changes. also Mobil has neW 0- 30 and 0 40 fuel economy oil out now. i will be changing t that at my next oil change as it is the same price as regular mobil 1
Castrol 0W-30 (German Castrol) isn't like the rest of the syntec line.

·
Registered
135 Posts
oh ok i would buy it and do it myself but im too scared of messing it up lol but at an oil change place u get to pick your oil right? and they change your filter?
Check out the DIY that Mike and blaze posted. It's very simple to change your oil and it will save you $30 bucks. If you took it to Walmart for an oil change, they give you four choices:

$25.00 Housebrand Package (Supertech oil)
$30.00 Standard Package (featured bulk oil or bottled oil, 5W20 included)
$40.00 High Mileage Package
$55.00 Synthetic Package (semi-synthetic blends or full synthetic)

All packages get you oil and filter changed. I always checked to verify that they changed my filter, though (When I had my Neon, I always marked it a certain way when I changed it just in case I had a shop do it next). You can never be too sure.

Good luck.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i ended up just going to a pennzoil oil change place and asked for the mobile 1 full synthetic and they put it in i was to lazy to do it myself but it cost me $66.

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've got a 2005 Cobalt, and since mid-2008 I've been obeying the computer and only changing the oil when it tells me to. I went 7,500 miles between oil changes and then made this video: YouTube - 7,500 miles between oil changes - no problem

After that, I went another 8,000+ miles until my next oil change, which I did about a month ago. No problems at all so far. The engine still sounds fine.

When I bought the car new at the dealership back in 2005, the salesman told me to ignore the 3,000 mile/3 month rule and to only change the oil when the computer said so. I ignored him because it sounded too good to be true. Later, I noticed that the Cobalt User's Manual also said to obey the computer, and that some cars would need fewer than one oil change per year. I started investigating back in 2008 and also found some YouTube vids released by GM in which they again reassured owners that following the computer was the way to go (you can probably still find these vids if you search). Popular Mechanics also did a study many years ago--which I found during the course of my research--that concluded the 3,000 mile/3 month rule was obsolete thanks to better oil additives and better car engines, and modern cars can last just as long having the oil changed every 5,000 miles/5 months or even less often than that. Finally, I called up the GM dealership where I bought the car and talked to a mechanic in the Service center, where they do oil changes on Chevrolets all day. He confirmed that the 3,000 mile/3 month rule was bunk, and that you were best off saving some time and money and following the computer. It's not a joke. The oil industry and the car service places keep perpetuating the myth that your car engine will break down someday unless you change the oil every 3,000 miles or 3 months because they make more money when people keep bringing their cars in for needless service.
Bah! I dont trust a computer to tell me when to change the oil. I try to change it every 3000 miles and never push it over 3500. I would like my car to last. An oil change is cheap. An engine replacement is not.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.