Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished swapping 2.2 ecotec in 2008 cobalt LT. The take-out engine came with a broken oil filler neck. Mine went back with the core. Dealer can't find a part for the filer neck. Does the valve cover include the filler neck? I don't see this in the picture for GM parts diagram. The valve cover looks all metal.
If anybody has a part number or a source it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
If you don't want to put that plastic engine cover back on you can just screw the cap directly into the valve cover. Most of us have removed and thrown away that little extension thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the cover is there for reasons other than esthetics. Critters chewing on ignition wires comes to mind. I didn't find any pieces under the valve cover and I think anything that may have gone down likely found its way through the galleys and were carried out during an oil change. I'm inclined to clean things up with some acetone and try gluing it in with some red RTV. I'm calling the salvage yard to see if they still have my core. Worst case is to lose the cover and put the cap directly on the cover as you say. Still interested in identifying the part to keep the engine bay looking original for resale reasons.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I couldn't find that part# on any of the GM on-line stores.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for looking. The salvage yard still had the core so they're shipping me the filler neck. The dealer thought that the filler neck might be part of the valve cover, but couldn't locate one in the dealer network so they could call somebody to eyeball it.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
GM# is usually stamped on the part so when you get it check it out and post it here....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
engine cover

The oil filler neck just has GTP 3 on it.

Wouldn't insulation over the valve cover allow moisture to more readily evaporate as the engine cools in very cold weather? It seems like the longer you can keep the part of the engine that cools the soonest warm, the less likely you are to get sludge (or frost) in the top end.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
The engine cover has a few purposes, one is to cut down on under hood turbulence and improve aerodynamics, the other is for engine noise reduction or muffling. Plus it also keeps dirt away from the spark plug area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.